Loved by many, melon can cause major health problems. Who can’t eat melon? Who should be wary of her?
Melon is an annual herbaceous plant of the gourd family. In the summer, everyone loves desserts with this fruit, and it’s very tasty to eat it just like that (especially with a white bun).
Benefits of melon
There are a lot of vitamins and minerals in the melon, due to which it:
- helps to heal the heart;
- improves the functioning of the nervous system;
- saturates with iron;
- improves immunity;
- contains fibers that aid digestion.
But with all these benefits, not everyone can eat melon. Who will not benefit from this summer sweetness, and on the contrary, will it harm?
- chronic diarrhea. Melon has a laxative effect, so it can harm those who have problems with loose stools: diarrhea intensifies, dehydration and other problems begin. For example — intestinal bleeding, convulsions, kidney failure.
- pancreatitis and gastritis. Melon irritates the mucous membranes of the intestines and stomach, so it, like all raw fruits.
- Pathology of the gallbladder. Again, it’s a matter of mucosal irritation.
- Erosions and ulcers. With such diseases, you can not eat raw fruits and vegetables. Well, somehow you don’t want to eat boiled melon at all — it will be tasteless.
- Some types of diabetes. If you have diabetes, you should definitely consult a doctor, since with one type you can eat it quite a bit, and with another it is absolutely impossible. Everything depends on the organism.
- kidney disease. You need to consult a doctor, as kidney diseases are different. The reason for the ban is the wateriness of the melon.
- Colitis. Melon irritates the mucosa, and colitis is an inflammation of the intestinal lining, so this summer sweetness should be abandoned.
- Allergy to watermelon, banana, avocado. You may be allergic to melon too, so you should be careful.
How to eat melon: recommendations
When breastfeeding do not overdo it with melon, as it can cause bloating, diarrhea and vomiting in the baby. Also, melon is a strong allergen, and can cause allergies in a child. If the melon was grown with nitrates, the child may be poisoned.
Children under 1 year old melon is absolutely impossible to eat, but children from 1 to 3 years old It is worth giving the fruit more carefully and in small portions.
During pregnancy melon is best eaten in very small portions, do not overdo it. A small slice will not hurt: it calms the nerves, normalizes bowel function.
Dieting melon is better not to abuse. In moderate doses, it will help you lose weight, but if you overeat, extra carbohydrates will only increase fat on the sides. Here are some more tips for those who are losing weight:
Melon cannot be eaten with other foods, otherwise you can get serious diarrhea. In particular — with alcohol, dairy and sour-milk products, cold water or soda.
Also don’t eat melon on an empty stomach. Again, diarrhea can result.
It is best to eat melon as a snack, about 150 grams: this way it brings more benefits.
The opinion of the editors may not coincide with the opinion of the author of the article.