Despite the many useful properties, the favorite summer berry has a number of medical contraindications. We tell you for which diseases it is not recommended to use watermelon.
Watermelon is an annual herbaceous plant belonging to the species of the genus Watermelon (Citrullus) from the Cucurbitaceae family. This is a gourd berry, that is, grown in the field and representing the fruit of the plant. In the summer, watermelon is considered the most popular fruit, as it is ideal for curbing thirst. You can gossip about the beneficial properties of watermelon for a long time, so here are a few key facts.
Useful properties of watermelon
The watery treat contains many useful substances: glucose, sucrose, fructose, as well as calcium, sodium, magnesium, potassium, ascorbic acid and phosphorus. All of them contribute to the normalization of the intestinal microflora, have strengthening, as well as anti-inflammatory properties.
This low-calorie product (it contains only 25 kcal per 100 g) is great for people who want to get rid of extra pounds — there is even a special watermelon diet. In addition, it removes excess fluid, prevents the formation of stones in the liver and maintains muscle elasticity.
Also, watermelon is an ideal remedy for treating anemia, because it contains a huge amount of iron. However, there is a category of people who can be harmed by a healthy berry.
Watermelon: contraindications of doctors
1. It is recommended that people with unhealthy kidneys and gastrointestinal tract eat watermelon with caution.
2. For problems with urination, as well as for urolithiasis, it is also better to limit the consumption of berries.
3. Watermelon is not the best solution for diarrhea, colic and severe pathologies in the pancreas.
4. Experts disagree about the consumption of watermelon in diabetes: some do not recommend eating a berry at all, while others do not exclude such a possibility in limited quantities. So be sure to check with your doctor before buying.
5. It is forbidden to eat watermelon for people suffering from problems with the pancreas or prostate glands. Here it is better to follow a special diet.
6. People with pathology of the cardiovascular system are also not recommended to enjoy the berry. Excess fluid in the body can increase the workload on the heart.
7. With atherosclerosis, doctors advise eating watermelon in very limited quantities!
8. Don’t eat watermelon before August. There is a risk of purchasing low-quality goods and getting poisoned.
Recommendations for watermelon lovers
Healthy people should be attentive to the use of berries. It is 92% liquid, so overeating can cause swelling.
It is better for pregnant women to limit themselves to eating watermelon, otherwise it will provoke the development of flatulence in the baby. In addition, filling the bladder from one serving and pressure on it from the growing fetus will increase discomfort.
It is better not to treat children under two years of age with fruit — it can cause food allergies. So, one serving of watermelon for a child from 3 years old is no more than 80-100 grams of pulp, for ages from 3 to 6 years — 150 grams.
Doctors do not advise eating watermelon before the main meal or as a dessert. It is better to treat yourself to a treat as a separate meal.
Recall that we have a few more useful materials about watermelon on our website. Read whether it is possible to breastfeed watermelon, how to choose the right watermelon and melon without harm to health, and everything about the watermelon diet.
Do you like watermelon? Write in the comments.
The opinion of the editors may not coincide with the opinion of the author of the article.