Inattentive people always suffer from their own inattention. They forget everything and cannot complete even the most elementary things. Because of this, they have to listen to reproaches from higher authorities and from their loved ones. To get rid of the problem, you need to show willpower and familiarize yourself with the following information.
What is it in psychology?
Scattered attention is considered a very significant disorder of the nervous system. These challenges must be taken very seriously. It should be noted that they can affect any person. But you should not panic.
With impaired concentration, a person feels some discomfort. If the problem gets worse, then we can say that the person is suffering from signs of distracted attention.
To compare 2 concepts, such as inattention and mindfulness, it is necessary to understand what mindfulness is. So, mindfulness is the process of the highest concentration of attention or the complete processing of specific information, due to which any individual can easily navigate in the environment.
When the process of inattention is formed, then the process of concentration fades away. It is in this way that absent-mindedness is formed in the human mind. It must be taken into account that a person is not born with absent-mindedness. This flaw is acquired over the years. Inattention in adults and children can appear for various reasons, it all depends on the characteristics of personality formation.
Know that scattered attention is a state of constant forgetfulness. As a result of the onset of such a state, a person loses the ability to develop normally. He has problems both at work and at home. Therefore, this condition must be eliminated by all available means.
Carelessness is different.
- Functional. This type can appear when fatigue sets in. For example, if a person performs monotonous actions at work, and his concentration begins to dull in a natural way.
- Creative. This species is seen in people preoccupied with creating something new and unknown. Creative people are constantly looking for new ideas, and therefore cannot focus their attention on more mundane things.
- Minimum. This happens when a person cannot focus his attention on meaningful information due to a strong immersion in his thoughts. The person is completely immersed in experiences and is no longer able to get out of this problem.
- Rigid. Basically, this condition is experienced by people with epilepsy and other diseases of the nervous system. A person is simply not able to hold his concentration for a long time on something and quickly switches from one topic to another.
- Unstable. When a child or an adult has hyperactivity in his character, it is difficult for him to focus on the same object for a long time.
Types of violation
Nervous system disorders must be taken seriously. Before making any decisions to eliminate this problem, you should familiarize yourself with the forms that are inherent in such violations.
For the first time, true inattention was described by the American philosopher and psychologist W. James. He argued that during the onset of the above-described state, a person disconnects from everything: from plans, from the external environment. When mindfulness is lost, a person’s consciousness wanders and cannot stop for a long time on any particular object. This kind of condition is commonly referred to as scattering or prostration.
Moreover, this state has a very strong influence on mental activity. A person feels a breakdown due to the fact that he cannot concentrate. As a result, complete apathy sets in, and interest in any activity disappears. The reason for this condition is either insomnia, or some kind of disease, or complete fatigue from the tasks performed.
Often, drivers who are forced to drive along the road for a long time, where nothing interesting happens, suffer from this condition.
Children often have student absent-mindedness. Due to uncontrolled mobility, distraction occurs. However, problems of inattention in children may arise for another reason, namely: due to the manifestation of signs that are associated with psychopathologies.
The older generation also suffers from the problems that a lack of focus causes. Such problems are called senile absent-mindedness. Due to poor switchability, which is directly related to the lack of concentration on the object, focusing on something becomes ineffective.
There are other types, such as imaginary absent-mindedness. The reason for this phenomenon is the many pictures that are in front of a person’s eyes and replace each other very quickly. Often this state is caused by both deep feelings and experiences. Strong emotions also prevent a person from concentrating normally on objects that are around him.
It should be noted that any individual can undergo such a state, and this is not surprising.
Experts in Gestalt psychology argue that concentration can be weakened when an emotional state occurs. For example, if a person received a dose of adrenaline, then his attention will decrease significantly.
Sometimes a person quite consciously tries not to notice some of the details that surround him. Such inattention is called motivational. It manifests itself when a person specifically does not notice any objects that can cause him stress. Cognitive inattention is expressed in the following manifestations: a person often does not notice the sound of the hands on the clock or the beating of his heart.
People who suffer from absent-mindedness quite often make mistakes at work and suffer from a general lack of concentration. Imaginary absent-mindedness can be caused by psychological problems. If any difficulties arise, a person concentrates his attention on overcoming them, while other information or objects fade into the background.
By the way, chronic fatigue syndrome can also cause problems related to concentration.
However, it must be remembered that imaginary and genuine inattention are very different from each other. If experts do not consider imaginary inattention to be a disease, then when true absent-mindedness occurs, they sound the alarm, since in this case a serious pathology may develop. Consider the symptoms that may indicate clinical problems:
- the occurrence of headaches;
- loss of working capacity;
- mood swings and behavioral changes;
- constant sleepiness;
- persistent feeling of fatigue, even after a great rest;
- inability to concentrate on anything;
- frequent loss of personal belongings;
- decreased activity in general, as well as sexual activity.
It should be noted that children also suffer from scattered attention. It may appear as follows:
- fast switching from one activity to another;
- bad memory;
- rapid excitability;
- frequent tantrums.
Children can often behave this way for a number of reasons, so don’t worry too much. However, if such manifestations are persistent and long-term, you need to make an appointment with a specialist and get advice.
Causes of concentration problems
Inattention occurs for various reasons: from fatigue, due to a headache, due to monotonous work. Let’s look at the most common reasons.
If you have impaired concentration and general forgetfulness, then these problems could arise due to various physiological conditions.
- The onset of a certain age. A person ages, and his body begins to falter in different directions. Various factors affect the good functioning of the brain, including disorders in the cardiovascular system.
- The onset of menopause in women can also cause inattention.
- Transitional age. Teenagers often suffer from such a factor due to hormonal failures.
- Pregnancy and lactation can cause a lack of concentration.
- Diseases associated with the nervous system directly affect the functioning of the brain as a whole. And this means that the lack of concentration is becoming the norm.
- Decreased immunity can also cause inattention.
Such reasons arise due to the fault of the person himself. Often, an individual, without getting enough sleep, takes on work that requires increased attention. As a result, all his efforts come to naught.
Very nervous people may suffer from inattention. They constantly find non-existent problems around them. Because of this behavior, their psyche begins to fail. Therefore, psychosomatics arises, which indicates problems.
Hard work affects the functioning of the brain and, as a rule, attentiveness. In addition, poor concentration of attention can be caused by certain factors.
- Stress. The consciousness of a person in this case is completely directed to solving a problem.
- Sedentary lifestyle. A person in this case is very relaxed and reacts badly to the changes taking place around him.
- Lack of order in thoughts and in surrounding things. When a person takes on everything at once, then nothing works out for him, since in this situation it is very difficult to focus his attention.
How to fight?
If the case is not started, then inattention can be defeated by various means. If you have been suffering from distraction for quite a long time and you feel that the problem is of a serious nature, then you can cope with it with the help of medication.
However, this issue should only be dealt with by a specialist who has certain knowledge and a license.
In other, less severe cases, you can use the advice.
- Try to get enough sleep and rest in time so that your physical and psychological capabilities do not suffer.
- You can get rid of inattention with the help of sports. The restoration of the general tone will significantly affect the restoration of concentration.
- To restore your brain activity, you need to make some efforts on yourself and overcome laziness and drowsiness.
- Prioritization will help to overcome the factor under consideration. It is necessary not to postpone problems for later, but to solve them as they arise.
- So that distraction of attention does not interfere with you, you need to stop being distracted by trifles. Do not think about non-existent problems, and even more so, do not “unwind” them in your head.
- You need to put things in order around you: wash the floors and put all things in their places.
- Put things in order in your head too. To do this, you need to plan your activities so that you can act according to a certain plan.
Of course, in order to increase mindfulness, you need to work on yourself every day. The following exercises can be done in your spare time. They are suitable for both adults and children.
- You have 2 hands. Take 2 pencils at once and start drawing different shapes with them at the same time. Moreover, the figures should be different. If you draw a circle with one hand, you must draw a square with the other. Engage in such manipulations every day, and you will feel how your brain will begin to respond to the activity and “turn on” the positive dynamics.
- Consider any subject (it is desirable that it be bright and have many bends). Remember the smallest details. Remove the thing and try to reproduce its image in your mind. The description can and should be carried out by hearing.
- Various pictures titled “Find 10 Differences” or “Find a cat” will help you restore lost functions.
- Try counting from 1 to 100. At the same time, do not call every fifth number, but instead say: “I am attentive.”
If you can’t force yourself to complete the above tasks for whatever reason, then at least try to combine business with pleasure at every opportunity. And for this, you can offer the following series of simple exercises.
- Get outside and just take a walk. During this activity, count the flowers on the lawn, look at the buildings. You need to remember everything that will meet you on the way. Before going to sleep, review your walk again in your mind and try to remember as many details as possible.
- Don’t act automatically. And to fulfill this condition, you need to carefully look around in the room and remember if you turned off the light, the iron. These actions must be done before leaving the house. After you leave the entrance, once again scroll through all your actions in your mind before moving in a given direction.
- When communicating with people, try to remember all the details. Listen carefully to how and what they tell you, and what your interlocutors are wearing and shod. Consider every little thing on clothes and shoes. Let this hobby become a habit. So gradually you will learn to pay attention to all the inconspicuous details and events taking place around you. Thus, you will eliminate low mindfulness.
- Curiosity is not a vice. Be interested in everything that comes your way. Let this also become a habit.
- Concentrate on the activity you are doing. Carry out your actions consciously and slowly.
- Think over your every step and choose your words carefullythat you are about to say.
Your reputation depends on it and the potential of mental activity increases.