A good ability to memorize new information has always been considered one of the most significant and valuable personality traits. Memory is necessary for a person throughout his life, with its help he realizes not only his vital needs, but is also capable of creative and professional mental activity. Regular training of the mental functions of the brain can lead to impressive results that will significantly improve the quality of life of any person.
Conditions for a good result
To develop the mind and good memory, our brain needs regular exercise. But in order for the classes to be effective and give good results, you will need to follow important rules.
- For brain cells to function at full capacity, a person needs to spend in the fresh air a total of 4 hours a day. If there are no opportunities for walking, they are replaced by airing the room.
- At least a day you need to sleep from 7 to 8 hours. If the body does not receive this sleep rate, it begins to work at maximum loads, and memory may deteriorate.
- Neurotoxic substances contained in tobacco and alcoholic beverages have a detrimental effect on brain cells. To keep mental abilities at a high level, you will have to give up addictions.
Observing favorable conditions for the work of the brain, you can apply various techniques aimed at improving memory and increasing intellectual abilities.
Some people, for one reason or another, notice a deterioration in brain function, expressed in poor memory, drowsiness, irritability, and difficulty in solving everyday tasks. In this case, the brain needs rest and exercise. For clarity of mind, there are many effective techniques with which you can not only restore memory, but also improve it.
Mind training is effective and beneficial for anyone, but it is especially important for older people to maintain their cognitive abilities. If you begin to notice that your memory is deteriorating, start doing simple exercises.
- Mastering new routes. Try to rearrange your usual way to work, home or shop. Along the way, try to observe around and notice various interesting details.
- Speaking aloud. Read aloud newspapers, books, pronounce all the new information that has come to you — and you will notice that it has become better remembered.
- Solving crossword puzzles. This is a real exercise for training the mind and memory. Regular engagement in such activities activates the brain cells, and in addition, you expand your horizons.
- Board games. They increase brain activity and develop memory. If you don’t like games, try jigsaw puzzles — they will also improve your quick wits.
- Sports. Try to learn a new sport for yourself. It can be Nordic walking, golf, tennis, or yoga, Pilates.
- Studying of foreign language. Another interesting type of leisure that perfectly develops memory and horizons.
- Communication and travel. Contact with new people, just like traveling, allows a person to stimulate the work of his brain cells.
- Mental account. Try to constantly perform simple arithmetic operations in your mind.
- Hobby. Find a hobby for yourself if you didn’t have one. Creativity captures a person, forcing the brain to work, improving cognitive abilities.
As a result of regular classes, you will notice over time that your memory has strengthened, and you are able to process and remember new information much easier than it was before.
Brain activity is associated with fine motor skills of the hands and fingers. By stimulating the fingers, one can not only improve memory, but also synchronize the work of both hemispheres, increasing the efficiency of neural connections. Exercises do not require much effort and time, but the results will pleasantly surprise you.
Place your hands on your elbows in front of you, while pointing your fingers up. Connect the index and thumb fingers together. You will get a ring on each hand. Now remove the index finger, and attach the middle finger to the thumb. Then do the same with the ring finger and little finger. Make pressure on the thumb strong. Those fingers that do not take part in pressing, try to keep straightened and directed upwards. Perform such movements from the index finger to little finger and vice versa.
In total, you can do 3 approaches — this will be enough.
We put our hands in front of us, fingers pointing up. You need to press the index and little fingers to the thumb at the same time. Next, press the index finger and ring finger to the thumb. Then — index and middle. Keep the rest of your fingers straight. Try to do it quickly, speed up the pace. It is necessary to do 3 approaches in both directions.
Hands in front of you, fingers pointing up. We connect the thumb of the left hand with the index finger of the right hand. Without taking the fingers apart, we try to connect the thumb of the right hand with the index finger of the left hand. You will get a kind of eight. Move your fingers by quickly moving this eight, first stepping your fingers from top to bottom, and then from bottom to top. Speed up the pace. The exercise is performed for 1 minute.
Simple but very effective exercises can be done even in the supine position. Children love to do them very much, try doing such activities with them.
More complex exercises that improve the functional abilities of the brain are memory tests. Memory can be trained in several ways.
- memorization method. It is based on stimulating fast memory. For example, write yourself a list of 20 nouns. Choose them randomly. Now about 1 min. study the list, then put it aside. Take another sheet of paper and write down all the words that you managed to remember. Next, check how many words you managed to reproduce from memory. If the result is at the level of 18-20 words, you have an excellent memory. A result of 15-17 words is also considered a good indicator. If you managed to remember less than 8-10 words, then your memory needs regular training.
- visual memory. You will need a picture that shows 20 objects that are not related in meaning to each other. The picture is looked at for 1-1.5 minutes, then it is removed. Now you need to remember and name the objects that were shown in the picture. The more items you memorize, the better your memory. If you managed to remember 17-20 items — visual memory is excellent. From 11 to 16 items — memory is at a good level. A result of 5 to 10 items indicates an average level of memory. If you managed to remember from 1 to 4 items, visual memory is poorly developed.
- Perception and memorization by ear. The subject is slowly called 20 nouns in the same order. The information is repeated 3 times. Then you need to list those nouns that you managed to remember. The evaluation level of results is the same as for visual testing.
Such tests allow us to understand how a person best perceives and retains information in memory.
In order to have a good memory, a person needs to develop the skill of mindfulness. The brain must be able to concentrate on important details and remember them. Daily workouts for at least 1 minute a day, including a series of exercises, can give excellent results over time.
- Development of figurative thinking. You can use the memorization of small texts, which are depicted in the form of pictograms. For example, take a small quatrain and schematically depict everything that is said there in the form of small pictures. Then, looking at your pictograms, recreate in your memory the original quatrain. In this way, you can memorize any information, even in very large volumes.
- Development of visual memory. To remember any object, you need to carefully examine it in parts. For example, you want to remember what a girl looks like. Pay attention to the color of her hair, eyes, facial expression, what she was wearing — jacket, dress, shoes. Sometimes good memorization is also helped by the inclusion of other senses in the process — the smell of perfume, the timbre of the voice or the melody that sounds at that moment. Having mentally collected all the constituent parts, the image of the object or person that you wanted to remember will be reproduced in memory.
To train memory and attention, try to memorize poems, foreign words, phone numbers every day. Reading books develops memory and imaginative thinking especially well.
To synchronize the hemispheres of the brain
For the full functioning of the brain, it is important that both hemispheres are involved. It is known from the course of physiology that the endings of nerve receptors are located in large numbers in the hands, and it is from the hands that signals in large numbers enter the brain. To develop good memory and attention, it is important to synchronize the work of both hemispheres, and simple exercises can help you with this.
- Stand on the floor, with your left hand reach the earlobe on the right, and with your right hand — reach the earlobe on the left. Keeping your hands in this position, you need to slowly do a squat. While bending your legs, you exhale air from yourself, and while straightening your legs at the knees, you need to take a breath. In total, you need to do 20-25 squats.
- The exercise can be done standing or sitting. The fingers of the right hand need to reach the tip of the nose and lightly grasp it. At this time, the left hand should hold the lobe of the right ear. And now you need to quickly change hands. The left hand holds the nose, and the right hand holds the left earlobe. In this exercise, a fast pace is important. The faster you can coordinate your movements and perform them accurately, the better the brain hemispheres begin to work.
Such exercises are safe for a healthy person. However, if you have vestibular disorders or other neurological pathology, it makes sense to consult with your doctor before having them.
Often the cause of cognitive decline is persistent anxiety and stress. According to psychologists, a person can effectively train memory only when he is internally calm and relaxed. To do this, it is recommended to follow simple steps.
- Choose a place where you can sit comfortably and cross your legs, while doing this, you will need to take deep and calm breaths and exhalations.
- close your eyesdelve into the flow of thoughts and observe yourself.
- Now try to slow down the speed of the thought flow. There is no need to stop it, just intentionally reduce the mental run. At this time, you are an observer who neither evaluates, nor seeks solutions, nor participates in the thought process.
Try to remember this state, when your thoughts did not flow in a stormy river, but in a slow and smooth stream. By calming down, you will become much more observant, your memory will begin to retain much more information.