A mature person needs to keep their cognitive abilities and memory in good shape. If you notice that it has become difficult for you to cope with intellectual tasks and memorize new information, then you should devote more time to brain gymnastics.
Why is training needed?
Studying at school or university, a person learns a huge amount of previously unknown material. This allows the brain to work intensively. Over the years, the flexibility of the mind weakens due to the subject’s habit of thinking in the same way, so it is important for an adult to regularly train memory.
The higher the activity of mental activity, the more oxygenated blood enters the brain.
It is necessary to perform special exercises that stimulate thought processes.
Solving problems in non-standard ways helps to perfectly train the brain, maintain intelligence and develop memory after 40 years. Any new activities contribute to the restructuring of thinking, allow you to maintain brain functions in working condition.
Effective brain exercises
There is a productive exercise that improves the mental activity of a person. Finger gymnastics is aimed at synchronizing the two hemispheres of the brain.
- Rub your hands well, as if thoroughly rinsing very dirty palms. Alternately, with the pad of your thumb, touch the tips of all fingers of the same hand in the forward and reverse direction.
- Stick out the fingers of both hands. The thumb of each hand should touch the little finger located on the other hand. Then the thumbs smoothly pass first to the ring fingers, then to the middle ones, then to the index fingers of the other hand. Further actions are repeated in reverse order.
- With your left hand, grasp the tip of your right ear, and with your right hand, grasp the lobe of your left ear. In this state, you need to do at least 20 squats.
There are also useful exercises that evenly distribute energy between both hemispheres of the brain.
- Study carefully for one and a half minutes a list of 20 words. During this period of time, break the word forms into pairs and link them using associative series. Then try to write down all the concepts in order on a piece of paper. If you memorize 15 to 20 words, then your memory works great. Reproduction of 10–14 words indicates an average level of memorization. When restoring less than 10 words in memory, it is urgent to begin work to improve brain activity.
- Gymnastics for the brain “Colored words” allows you to improve concentration. You need to quickly pronounce the color of the word aloud, while it means one color, but has a completely different color. For example, the word “blue” is written in red, and “yellow” is written in green. It’s confusing. For this reason, there is a need to focus. Both hemispheres are included in the work.
Psychologists recommend training each hemisphere in turn.
For the right hemisphere
The right side of the brain is responsible for emotions, imagination, deciphering various metaphors, face recognition, processing non-verbal information, musical and artistic abilities, and orientation in space. You can develop this hemisphere with the help of some exercises.
- One hand shows a figure of three fingers, the other hand shows a sign of approval. Then quickly open your hands and clap your hands. Show the shapes with different hands. Again there is a clap in the palm of the hand, and the figurine with the sign of approval is reversed. Repeat gymnastics several times.
- Mirroring the same shapes with both hands at once is very effective. Initially, you should start with the image of squares, triangles, circles, loops. Over time, the task becomes more difficult. Both hands simultaneously draw full-fledged pictures.
For the left hemisphere
Classes for the development of logical thinking are aimed at maintaining the work of the left hemisphere. This part of the brain performs the functions responsible for the language and speech of a person, the consistent processing of all incoming data in the brain structures. Thanks to the left hemisphere, the subject can understand words, analyze, and perform mathematical operations. You can train it by solving mathematical problems, solving puzzles and crossword puzzles, various logic games, checkers and chess.
Features of neurobics
Regular performance of the same type of tasks leads to the fact that it becomes difficult for the subject to focus on new information. American neuroscientist Lawrence Katz has developed an interesting exercise for the mind, during which 5 senses are active.
Such charging allows you to synthesize new links between the neurons of the brain, to maintain an excellent memory for a long time.
The essence of neuroscience is that habitual actions are performed in an original way. Unaccustomed activity, fresh sensations contribute to the emergence of new neural connections that develop intellectual abilities.
It would be good for a right-hander to start writing, brushing his teeth, combing his hair or holding a spoon with his left hand and, conversely, for a left-hander with his right hand. Change the pace of your usual activities. If you are used to doing everything quickly, slow down your actions, and, conversely, if you are a slow person, then speed up the pace. It is proposed to walk around the apartment blindly, to determine the object by touch. Try to recognize the denomination of a coin only by touching your fingers.
When reading, focus on headings and articles that did not interest you before. Try to answer non-standard questions. Watch some TV show without sound and try to understand what the characters are talking about.
Breathe in various aromas, enjoy the smells of food, plants and perfumes. Smell your smartphone or notebook. Don’t be afraid to drastically change your image. Choose other routes to arrive at your usual places: retail outlets, a sports club, a beauty salon, a car service, or to work.
Tasks for training memory
Various tasks improve the flexibility of the mind. Quickly count from 100 to 1. Now count back in triplets: 100, 97, 94, 91… Perform simple arithmetic operations in your mind: add, subtract and multiply.
Computations load working memory, thereby keeping it active.
You can improve your thought processes by inventing a word for each letter of the alphabet. For this purpose, half-forgotten words have to be retrieved from memory. At such moments, connections between neurons that have not been involved for a long time are activated.
Give yourself different tasks every day. For example, set yourself the task: “Today I pay attention to all yellow objects all day.” Such an attitude directs attention to the selection and retention of information. The selection function is trained. Pay attention to the numbers of cars passing by you.
The game of chess involves the brain in violent mental activity, since you need to mentally calculate in advance not only your own moves, but also the moves of your opponent. Thinking through the strategy of interaction with an opponent resembles a model of the daily existence of a person.
Listen carefully to your interlocutor. Try to remember the color of his clothes, eyes, hair and the timbre of his voice. After parting with him, try to reproduce in your memory the features of the face, the colors of things. Think of the fragrance of the perfume this person wears. Mentally reproduce the timbre of his voice
Visualize the items you need to remember. For example, during a trip to the store, correlate each item of the necessary purchase with a part of your body. Imagine a garland of sausages around your neck, a standing jar of tomato paste on your head, a tube of mustard on your shoulder, and a gigantic onion in your hand.
To maintain the flexibility of the mind, it is necessary to pay due attention to physical activity, good sleep, eating healthy food, walking in the fresh air.
Do gymnastics for the neck so that its vessels are not pinched.
A good blood supply is necessary for mental activity, otherwise the brain does not receive the necessary nutrition.
Try not to overwork. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle contributes to the preservation of mental activity for many years.
Learn a new sport or a musical instrument. Learning a complex activity has a positive effect on cognitive abilities.
During classes, change the environment: take an unusual position for you or turn on the music. Attend various courses. For example, a cooking lesson stimulates mental work and develops sense of smell, taste and vision.
Draw a map after visiting a new place. From memory, draw your and the neighboring district of the city. Analyze every passing day in great detail. Try to remember all the events of the day before going to bed. Mentally reproduce the phrases you heard, the gestures of people you saw, and other impressions.
The following video demonstrates exercises for brain development.