Memorizing poetry has a positive effect on the biochemical processes of human brain activity. Children easily memorize rhymed phrases. Teenagers and adults can also learn to quickly memorize poetic lines.
How to teach?
Many people complain of poor memory and the inability to keep poetry in their head. In fact, poetry is much easier to remember than prose. Any poem has its own rhythmic pattern, rhyme and emotional background, so it can be easily learned.
To do this, you need to correctly determine the profiling type of your memory.
- With good auditory memory for effective memorization, it is necessary to read poems aloud or listen to their audio recording performed by a professional actor or the winner of a reading competition.
- With the predominance visual memory you need to use a printed edition, try to remember the location of the poetic text on the page and its font, mentally imagine a page with a printed poem.
- Developed motor memory involves careful rewriting of verses using multi-colored pens. You can make drawings next to the lines. Poetry can be accompanied by gestures and pantomime.
- Those who have an excellent emotional memory while memorizing stanzas, one must imagine a breath of wind, various aromas, for example, favorite perfumes or meadow herbs. When playing a rhymed text, you need to restore all the emotions used in memory.
An important point is the correct distribution of time. Students need to memorize poems in advance.
- On the first day, the entire rhymed text is memorized. First, they read it aloud, mentally penetrate the content: they try to understand the meaning and imagine what the author wanted to convey to the listener. The meaning of unfamiliar words should be clarified. The work should be read several times in a row, preferably aloud. You can add sound to the visualization. Then it will take a day for the text to get fixed in the head.
- The next day, you need to play the entire poem by heart. Forgotten lines must be restored in memory from the printed text.
- The third day will be needed to repeat of the whole work and rehearsal of reading aloud with expression.
Quick memorization techniques
Some people like the way of memorizing poetry lines. before bedtime. It is believed that the brain rethinks the information received overnight and fixes it in its structures. And in the morning, the stanzas are automatically retrieved from memory.
The classic «pyramid» technique used in line-by-line memorization of poetry. After the first stanza has been learned, the following lines are memorized and strung on the previous ones. And in this way they learn by heart the whole poem: 2 lines + 2 + 2 + 2 …
Breaking down a poem involves dividing the entire poetic work into logical small passages. First, they memorize the first semantic fragment for a certain time, repeat it mentally when doing any household work. Then they move on to the next stanza. After that, the combined learned parts are spoken.
When a person manages to memorize the next verse, he continues to memorize the following passages in succession. Then you need to combine all the learned rhyming pieces and recite the entire poem, while you can peep into the printed text in order to visually fix in memory the junction of the beginning of the lines of one part with the end of the previous fragment.
Acting Memory Technique involves playing the poem in the form of a scene. If desired, the performance can be arranged in front of friends, neighbors, family members or in front of your favorite pets. This method allows you to concentrate, place all the accents and choose the necessary intonation.
At first, you can peep into the text, then it is advisable not to use hints. During improvisation, the lines play themselves.
Exists musical method of memorizing verses. People with a good auditory memory pick up slow, pleasant music, on which a poetic text is superimposed. The melody is listened to through headphones on a walk, during sports, in public transport and mentally repeat the learned rhyming fragments. The auditory method makes it possible to memorize a large poetic work in a matter of minutes.
Any, even a very large fragment of a poetic work, can be remembered quickly if match yourself with the main character. To do this, you need to mentally imagine all his actions, build figurative logical chains in your head, create associations.
A large poem can be learned by heart in 5 minutes by breaking the text into separate phrases and encoding them into pictures. It is necessary for each line to prepare its own location and connect it with the encoded images. To reproduce the poem, you will need to remember all the locations.
You can learn to quickly memorize a very large poetic text using mnemonics. This technique activates figurative thinking, because focusing on words, trying to keep them in your memory can not always be successful. If you see bright images and lively plots in a simple rhymed set of words, then the time for memorizing poetry is noticeably reduced.
But not all methods of mnemonics are suitable for memorizing poetic lines. The use of a matrix is more suitable for memorizing prose, because it allows you to fix the text in memory and reproduce it according to a certain structure not literally, but in your own words, that is, to convey its meaning. Recreating lines of poetry memorized by this method can lead to absurdity.
For example, in this way someone encodes a poem by A. Blok:
I’m a fortune teller with a wrinkled face
Spelled under a dark porch.
Fascinated by the street scream
I ran after the flashing face.
Passing strings as images stored in memory, tied to certain places in the apartment, can lead to such an absurdity:
Me and the fortune teller with a shriveled face
The cards were laid out under the dark porch.
I really liked the street scream
I ran after the head, seen in an instant.
In this case it is best to turn each line into images. First you need to imagine how a reptile «reptile» in a bright colorful women’s dress is looking at you. The muzzle with deep wrinkles is framed and looks like an icon. The second line can be interpreted in the imagination as if the thieves lived under a dark porch. And in this way, the whole poem must be mentally turned into colorful images. Imaginary pictures should be linked to the previous lines.
It is recommended to rhythmically recite the stanzas aloud and mentally imagine the created images, each of which must obey a certain rhythm.
- You can train your memory by memorizing at least one quatrain every day. This process improves concentration and helps to avoid forgetfulness, absent-mindedness.
- Great help in memorizing verses special applicationsavailable on any smartphone.
- To effectively memorize verses, you must complete all the work you have begun, choose the right environment and comfortable position, and concentrate. It is best to pronounce each stanza in complete silence in the absence of any extraneous sounds.
- Good mood and positive emotions are of great importance. An irritated, frustrated or overly excited person is unlikely to be able to concentrate their attention, so it is necessary to calm down and relax.
- Experts advise divide the poetic text into several logical fragmentseach of which must be given its own name.
- You can write out on a separate sheet only the first words of all lines and use them to retrieve the entire rhymed text from memory. You should pay attention to the location of the text and even to commas. Visual memory captures all the details that can be mentally reproduced at any moment.
- Need to pause when there is difficulty in the process of memorization. It is best to be distracted by another activity. After a short switch, you can return to the passage where you left off.
- If some stanza is not remembered in any way, It is recommended to write it down on a separate piece of paper.
Psychologists suggest playing this game: you need to write the whole poem, cut the sheet into separate strips with one or two lines that need to be mixed, and then restore the text. The second stage involves cutting each strip across, dividing the line in half. You should again mix all the fragments and again decompose them in the right order.
Ultimately, it is proposed to cut the text into separate words. In this case, when assembling the entire poem, memorization occurs within 5 minutes.