Getting fired and looking for a new job is a common practice in a person’s life. However, not everyone knows how to properly tell their boss about the dismissal in order to maintain a good relationship and get recommendations.
How to explain the reason?
Most people will agree that it is not always easy to admit to your boss that you have a desire to quit. Even if the employee is not the first time through such a procedure, each case is unique. Therefore, every time before telling the boss about the dismissal, you should think carefully.
It’s even harder to confess to a newcomer who has never quit before. Some are afraid to spoil relations with the team and change their minds. Sometimes changing your mind is the right thing to do. If a person feels comfortable with the current team, no one can guarantee that in a new place, even under more favorable conditions, he will be able to establish relations with colleagues.
But if an employee is thinking about changing jobs, then he has reasons. You should think over your decision several times, and then write a statement to the employer of your own free will.
You should not worry too much, because at work someone constantly quits and gets a job, this is considered normal practice. Nothing wrong with that.
If the decision to change jobs has not changed, you should first inform your manager about this. It is recommended to tell about your desires before the letter of resignation is written. With this approach, you can maintain a good relationship with your superiors. However, this option is not suitable for cases where relations with management have already been damaged.
But if a person is on good terms with the director, they should not be spoiled. This is due to the fact that the corporate world is quite cramped, so there is no need to make enemies. No one can tell in advance who you will meet in the future. Quarrels with superiors can lead to a deterioration in reputation and complications in employment in the future. It must be taken into account that the future manager can request recommendations from the previous place of work, and in case of conflicts, no one will write a good description of the former employee. Therefore, it is worth thinking about how to say goodbye to your current boss while maintaining a good relationship.
To do this, you should truthfully tell about the reason for your departure. Together with that remember to be diplomatic. If a person does not like the company itself and colleagues, you should not talk about it. But when offering a higher position and pay in a new place, there is no need to hide such reasons. There is a possibility that the director does not want to lose a valuable employee and will offer a salary increase or career growth.
Reasons of a different nature: family difficulties, moving, fatigue and the desire to go to another specialty. All this an adequate leader must understand. That’s why with the right conversation, you can always leave the company without quarrels, maintaining normal relations. And for this you should not hide the true reasons.
But it is not necessary to prescribe the true reasons in a written statement. For dismissal, a legal basis is sufficient to prevent arbitrariness. The employee can leave after the agreed terms have been worked out, if they are necessary, and no one can force justifications in writing. The formulation of reasons is required only if the employee cannot work the required days.
There are several reasons in the labor code that are called valid:
- if the employee is unable to continue working due to retirement;
- when enrolling in an educational institution;
- due to violation of the law by the employer.
A person may have other reasons, but the employer can legally refuse to dismiss without working off.
Choice of place and time
A well-chosen time and place to inform the authorities about your decision is half the success. Do not be afraid of a negative reaction from your employersince with the right actions, you can minimize the waves of negativity and say softer that a dismissal is planned. The best place for a conversation is the director’s office.
It should be remembered that the boss must be the first to know about the desire of his employee to quit.
It is best to approach with a conversation at a time when there is no emergency work at work. It is also not recommended to approach with such things during the lunch break, because the manager must have time to listen to his colleague and sign the necessary documents. It is worth abandoning the dialogue during business negotiations and before the end of the working day. It is advisable to approach with a conversation in the morning. Regardless of the relationship an employee is in with his superiors, do not call the director on weekends or during holidays to announce the dismissal. Always remember to be tactful and keep your distance.
If the decision is made, you need to carefully read the employment contract concluded at the current place, and study the clause on termination. There should be information about the period for which the authorities should be notified of the dismissal. Some companies require reporting at least one month in advance. It is important to fulfill the conditions of the employer in order not to let him down. At the same time, you do not need to report your decision six months in advance, since everything can change in such a time. If an employee is assigned to work on an unfinished project, you should first finish it, and then go talk about dismissal with your superiors.
In order for the conversation with the director to start correctly, it is worth informing tactfully about the reasons for your termination of the contract, while waiting for this, the use of a template phrase is allowed. You can use the following conversation example.
- “Good afternoon, Dmitry Viktorovich! Can we talk to you now?»
- «Dmitry Viktorovich, I was offered a new job, I want to take advantage of this offer.»
- “I want to express my gratitude to you for everything you have taught me. Thanks to you, I now have a blueprint for the leader I want to be like.”
- “Unfortunately, I feel that I cannot develop in this position. The new location that I have chosen will give me more prospects for development.”
- “Now the situation has developed in such a way that I need to say goodbye to your company. The reason for my decision lies in the move/family circumstances/state of my health.”
When pronouncing these phrases, you need to be aware that none of the templates can guarantee that the manager will hear what they are told and will be able to adequately perceive the situation. But with the help of a well-constructed speech, you can adjust the situation and minimize the conflict. Telling a good boss that you’re getting fired requires thinking about more than cliched phrases, time, and place.
It is important to thank a good leader who invested in the development of an employee. Every person wants to hear on a subconscious level that his efforts were not in vain.
By maintaining a relationship with your superiors, positive characteristics can be obtained. They may be required by another director in order for him to make a decision regarding a new candidate before hiring him.
To quit correctly, it is important to read the recommendations. They will help maintain a good reputation and relationships with the former team.
- When an employee has made a firm decision to leave, he needs to finish all projects, transfer his duties to colleagueswho will be responsible for them.
- Should immediately discuss this issue with your boss: he must advise what needs to be done before dismissal. Some companies practice training a new employee — this may be asked to be done during working off.
- Colleagues should also be aware that they will soon have to say goodbye. Their notification is good form. You can leave your contacts with the words that if necessary, they can always ask for help. Such an attitude indicates that the employee is responsible for his work and takes care of his colleagues and common affairs with them.
- Don’t argue with your colleagues as business contacts are important in any field of activity. No one knows how the circumstances will turn out, with whom communication will be in the future. Useful acquaintances should always be present in the life of every person.
- Before I leave leave only good memories of yourself. The option with a small buffet is the best solution with which you can say goodbye to the team.
- You can also exchange phone numbersin order to be in touch in the right situation.
- On your last working day tidy up your desk tidy up and collect things.
It is also worth familiarizing yourself with the main mistakes that people often make before being fired. Here is a list of things not to do.
- Quit day to day, without warning, without handing over your work affairs. It will take time for the authorities to replace the employee — this must be understood.
- Openly criticizing the company is strictly prohibited. Do not say in the style: «This is the worst place where I have ever worked.» Such an approach will lead to a backlash, and particularly touchy leaders may retaliate with a “good” reference.
- The topic of poor employee management should not be raised during the conversation. This is too offensive a topic that depends not only on the manager, but also on the employees themselves.
- If there is a tense atmosphere in the work team, where the majority has a negative attitude towards the boss, don’t speak for the majority. You should speak only on your own behalf, because a specific person is leaving at the moment, and the rest remain in their places.
- You can’t judge your colleagues behind their backs, talk about their faults and weaknesses. This falls into the category of bad taste.
- Criticism of the work processes and programs of the current place of work can make a quit employee an enemy. You can be constructive in a mild form about what can be corrected, but you must not forget about caution and a sense of proportion.
- You should not talk about the fact that the employee is very bored at the current workplace. Lack of motivation is not the best trait that superiors should see in their employee.
- Unnecessary advice and recommendations are also best left to yourself.
- Even if the director asks about a new job, you do not need to talk about it with admiration. It is better to constructively talk about the company and why you decided to work there.