Many of us experience that memory deteriorates over the years — this can happen with age or after a long period of inactivity. Nevertheless, everything is in our hands — if you practice regularly, memory can be improved. In our article you will find the most effective methods and exercises for memory training.
How to improve memory?
Memory development is important at any age. If work or study does not require memorization of large amounts of information, you may find that memory is very poor as early as 25 or 35 years old. At the same time, after 50, in a natural way, our memory begins to gradually weaken, so it becomes especially important to maintain and train it. You may encounter the fact that it becomes more difficult to remember events, numbers and facts after the age of 40 — in any case, the development of memory is possible.
To train the brain, it is very important to exercise regularly — at least half an hour a day, you should pay attention to this.
Systematic classes allow you to quickly develop the memory of an adult — in a few weeks you will begin to notice certain improvements. Gradually, you can develop memory to a high level, for example, if you need it for work. What to do if the memory is bad? There are many ways to improve it. Choose the option that best suits you.
Learning foreign languages
Foreign languages are now needed for work and travel, and they also allow you to perfectly develop your ability to memorize. Choose the language you need or are interested in: If you don’t know English, maybe you should start with it. Any other European language is suitable for replacement — it will be easier to learn them from scratch. If you already know some European languages, you can complicate your task, for example, take up Chinese or Arabic.
The most effective will studying with a teacher – individually, in groups or online. If this is not possible, it is quite possible to start doing it yourself. On the Internet, you will surely find tutorials, video tutorials and various manuals for the language you are interested in.
It is important to practice regularly, every day, otherwise there will be no benefit to memory.
Make it a rule to study a day 5-10 new words. Read them, repeat them several times, try using them in simple sentences. A few hours after class, try to mentally remember these words, and also repeat them the next day. When you can easily master ten foreign words a day, try increasing the number.
If you speak a foreign language at an elementary level and want to improve, this can also be done for the benefit of your memory. For this try to learn poems in a foreign language or read long texts, and then try to retell them in as much detail as possible. At the same time, it is very important to be able to retell the text or reproduce poems three days after studying, in a week, in two weeks. Review the materials every day — only in this way you can develop your long-term memory.
Language learning is one of the most popular memory development methods.
First, this useful not only for memorization, but also for travel, work, reading books or watching movies in the original. Secondly, language learning can be really fun. You will rejoice in your success and very soon you will begin to recognize individual phrases in foreign songs or on websites.
For memory, this method can also be very useful. Poems are different, and you can choose the right ones for you — it is important that the task causes difficulties, but is feasible. If your memory is really bad, take a short simple poem. If a few stanzas are easy for you, you can take on part of the poem.
Studying poetry is an interesting and useful way to train your memory. First, it is always good to know famous verses by heart. Secondly, good literature helps to develop vocabulary and improves the level of native language proficiency. Finally, among the whole variety of poems, you can choose those that you like and get a lot of pleasure from classes.
Poems can be taught in different ways. Some memorize by lines, others by stanzas. Try as often as possible to try to reproduce the poem yourself, rather than read it. — even if you tell with mistakes, hitches and peeping into the book, such a process will give the best effect. Recall is an important process that gives the necessary load to our brain.
In such classes, it is extremely it is important that poems are not forgotten immediately after class. Try to remember them during the day, repeat after a few days or after a week. Tell verses, trying to peep into the book as little as possible, and then correct your mistakes.
A good result can be given by the gradual memorization of long verses or poems.
For example, on the first day you can memorize 2-3 stanzas. Set yourself the task of memorizing one more stanza every next day, while not forgetting the previous ones. This way you can achieve results that you will be proud of.
In addition, you will have the opportunity to stop at the volume that will cause difficulties and gradually overcome your threshold. The main thing is to repeat the entire poem every day from the very beginning — it is through repetition that you can improve your memory over time.
If you love to read, but notice that you do not remember the content well, you can improve your memory by retelling what you read. Try to read a few pages, and then reproduce the content of what was written in as much detail as possible. You can do this out loud or write down the retelling on a piece of paper — whichever is more convenient for you.
Over time, increase the number of pages for retelling, but do not reduce the length of your story — it should be as detailed as possible. Try to retell the content of what you read immediately after reading, in a few days, in a week. If it is difficult, write down the main theses that you will reveal.
Reading alone does not help memory development, but it can be helpful to consciously memorize everything you read.
So that you are not bored with retelling, you can discuss literature with friends and acquaintances. Try to notice interesting facts and not miss anything in your story.
This is an interesting exercise that you may like: in addition to developing memory, it will help you organize your time and comprehend different everyday situations. Every evening you must remember in as much detail as possible everything that happened to you over the past day. It is strongly recommended to write it down — to keep a kind of diary. So you yourself can evaluate the details of the story, do not get confused in your thoughts and will gradually see your progress.
Remember and write down everything down to the smallest detail. Try to remember how you woke up, when and what you had breakfast, what conversations you had, what you thought about, where you went. The more detailed you can remember the past day, the better.
Just writing down everything that happened to you is not enough. Get in the habit reread what you write in the morning — so you can remember more information at once. Over time, start rereading not only the notes about yesterday, but also the notes for the whole week.
When it becomes easy for you to keep such a diary, try to complicate the task — write down everything that happened to you during the week on Sunday. So over time, you will train your brain to remember more and more events.
It is very important, when compiling such records, to remember everything sequentially and not to jump from one event to another.
For example, you should not first describe your lunch, and then breakfast — such a narrative breaks the logical chain. One should move gradually, from one event to another, trying not to miss anything, but remembering exactly the sequence, and not separate events.
At first, the exercise can cause great difficulties precisely because of the need for a consistent presentation. Often our everyday affairs have no connection with each other and can easily get confused in memory. Nonetheless if you diligently perform the exercise, very soon you will feel that remembering even unrelated events is now much easier for you.
Types of educational games
There are various play techniques suitable for memory training that adults can also enjoy. Gaming techniques help to have a good time and not experience any special stress from classes. Nevertheless, gradually you will begin to better remember numbers, facts and events in everyday life.
Memory training games can be as follows.
- Finger gymnastics and the development of fine motor skills. It’s no secret that finger movements are connected with the work of our brain. To stimulate memory improvement, you can make animal figures from your fingers, try to unbend or bend your fingers, resisting with the second hand, try to bend one finger, leaving the rest in a static position. Hobbies such as knitting, beading, modeling, papier-mâché, and jigsaw puzzles can also be useful. It is unlikely that the development of fine motor skills alone will be enough to seriously improve memory, but in parallel with other activities, this will be of great help.
- Try to quickly look around the room for a few seconds, and then go out and write down in as much detail as possible what objects are in the room, how they are located relative to each other. Such a game will help you learn to remember better — over time, you will be able to list items in more detail. To make things more difficult, ask family members to intentionally rearrange familiar household items in a different order. Give yourself these memory tasks every day.
- Now you can find many interesting board and online games aimed at improving memory. Try different methods and over time you will understand which method will be most effective for you.
- Learn biographies of famous people and interesting historical facts with dates. Read them several times, make yourself cards with names and dates, try to match them. When the first successes appear, complicate the classes and take more names and dates. Such a game will not only be a memory training, but will also help improve your erudition. You can take names and facts from the category of general knowledge or from specific areas that interest you.
Mnemonics is a set of simple techniques that make it easier to remember large amounts of information. These techniques are mostly based on the convenient structuring of knowledge or on the search for successful associations. Such techniques help to improve memory, you can quickly master any amount of information at home and without any extra effort.
Anyone can master mnemonics, and with the help of simple tricks, even large volumes of completely unrelated figures and facts can be memorized. The main thing is to devote enough time to mastering mnemonics and find an option that will suit you.
For numerical information, one usually uses association method. If you need to remember and keep a large number of random numbers in your head, it is quite possible when they cease to be random for your brain. To do this, it is important to choose for each number or for each sequence its own association. It is best if they are personal.
For example, you can associate numbers with your friends’ birthdays, phone numbers you know, the number of rooms in your house, or how long you’ve been at work. The more you associate with a particular number, the easier it will be to remember. To memorize several sequences of numbers, it is convenient to come up with several stories in which these numbers will appear. The brain needs a rationale for everything, so if you come up with one, it will be easy to keep any information in memory.
If you need to remember non-numeric information, this can be used categorization method. Unsystematic facts are difficult to assimilate, so you need to divide them into interconnected groups and blocks. Usually, it is convenient to divide all information into 5-9 categories, which will then be easy to reproduce. And in each of these groups, you can also divide all the information into several categories.
Depending on what you remember, the principles of grouping may be different.
Semantic connections are considered the strongest in psychology, so it’s good if you find how to logically combine the facts you need. But other principles can work, for example, by sound, first letters or numbers.
A good memory is important both at work and at home. The problem of deterioration in the ability to memorize is relevant for adults at any age, for women and men. There are many methods to improve your memory, but it is important to remember the general points that will affect the effectiveness of classes.
- First of all, regularity is very important. — if you start skipping classes, being lazy and returning to the exercises once a week, there will be no point in them. Even if you have a very busy schedule, you can find a few minutes a day for training — duration is not as important as regularity and consistency. When classes become a habit, it will be much easier for you, and you will achieve results faster. To motivate yourself, choose a method that will be pleasant and interesting for you — from reading and learning languages to interesting games.
- Motivate yourself to succeed. If you only do easy tasks without striving to strain your mind, there will be no results. When you feel that the exercise does not cause any problems, complicate it. Let large amounts of information cause errors and hitches, but this is how you will learn. It is difficult tasks that will bring you a sense of satisfaction when you notice how your memory has improved.
- Always try to train not only short-term memory, but also long-term memory. Many people find it easier to remember information for a few hours, and then they successfully forget it. For training, this approach is not suitable: everything that you remember during different exercises, try to keep in your head and periodically return to it. In this regard, retelling large texts, learning a language, or keeping a diary is especially useful — you can either reproduce individual fragments of information from memory, or start remembering everything from the very beginning.
- Do not stop exercising when memory improves. This state must be maintained, and there are no limits to the development of memory. Try to at least occasionally return to game exercises or mnemonics in order to maintain a good memory for a long time.
- Reward yourself for working out. If you’re exercising regularly and seeing progress, treat yourself to keep you motivated to keep going. For example, treat yourself to a delicious dessert or a spontaneous purchase.
In the following video, you will learn several techniques for memorizing information to develop memory.