People with a good memory have a much easier life. It is easy for them to complete various tasks and study at school. For example, it is enough to read a poem a couple of times and it reliably remains in memory. In the lesson, you just need to open the desired page and simply retell the text. Eidetic memory is needed for those people who, by the nature of their service, must memorize a large amount of information.
Such a professional will definitely not be left without work. Therefore, we can conclude that excellent memory is a huge advantage.
What it is?
People who have a memory associated with remembering images are considered talented. However, some experts believe that such talent is more of a deviation than an advantage. To understand this issue, we will find out what the word eidetic means. This term appeared in our language from the Greek word meaning «appearance» or «image». That’s why memory that is capable of visually reproducing objects is called eidetic memory.
To be precise, then this memory allows a person to remember and retain certain images in his mind. It can be pictures, numbers or words. When such images come to a person’s mind, he sees them as if he was returned to the past and a colorful page was opened before him. An eidetic can easily describe everything he sees to the smallest detail or rewrite the text without missing a single word.
And that is not all. During memories, sensory modalities are triggered. They connect tactile, olfactory, motor or taste memories to the picture. The individual keeps these things in his mind for a long time (several years may pass) and recreates if necessary. And the experiences will still be quite vivid and detailed.
The described memory is characterized by the detailing of visual images. To understand this, it is necessary to give an example. Many have watched the movie «Avatar». However, few people remember what the main character was wearing when he got off the intergalactic ship. It is also difficult to remember the various little things that were present in the frame. BUT a person endowed with a photographic memory will easily remember all the details. Even describe colors and sounds.
After reading some information, you already want to become an eidetic? Then start training your memory, as it will take a lot of time. You may have to spend your whole life on it.
Although there are also people who received this gift at birth. They can easily be classified as natural born geniuses. This is the difference between a hardworking person and someone who has been endowed with ability from the very beginning.
In psychology, it is customary to rely on characteristics. Therefore, we will consider them in more detail, and at the same time we will find out what photographic memory relies on and how it works.
- First, visualization is turned on. As if by chance, images appear, and secondary components follow them. How it works? A person with a photographic memory perceives a picture, and then all the other details that follow are imprinted in his imagination. For example, if a person saw an accident, then at first he remembered the picture as a whole, and then the numbers of cars, colors, sounds, etc. were imprinted in his memory.
- Then comes the detailing of the images. A person remembers such details that an ordinary man in the street is sure to lose sight of. For example, he can remember and describe the victims’ clothing and even the color and shape of the buttons that were sewn onto the victim’s jacket. It seems that the eidetic looks at the picture and gradually describes it.
- A unique person does not try to remember events that have attracted a lot of attention. They are deposited in his mind as if by chance, regardless of his desire. This is called involuntary retention. The exception here are people who specifically develop photographic memory.
- The eidetic can remember the necessary events with ease, as it has an involuntary reproduction.
- Those born with a photographic memory can remember very large amounts of information. They quote poems, know various details of past events, and even speak different languages.
- A person with a normal memory often cannot remember the details. And the eidetic will remember everything to the smallest detail, even if 20 or 30 years pass.
In order for an eidetic to remember something, he needs to be very interested in some event. And if his attention is distracted, then the eidetic, like an ordinary person, will not remember the features of the events that have occurred.
It is believed that eidetic memory is inherent in younger students. As we grow older, such memory is replaced by cause-and-effect thinking. However if desired, any person can restore memory, since his brain is only 3-5% involved. Therefore, it is necessary to develop your memory throughout your life and achieve results. In this way you will make it impeccable, since a person with a photographic memory has an intellectual superiority over other people.
And keep in mind that the ability to learn in most cases depends on a good memory. If a person is able to remember a large amount of information, he becomes in demand in the labor market. It is easier for young people to learn and try themselves in various professions with such mental ability.
Nevertheless, eidetic memory still has some disadvantages. People with unusual abilities often fail to develop abilities in other areas. First of all, physical development suffers. In addition, the brain of a normal person specifically erases unpleasant memories. In life, it is these memories that usually cause heartache.
Nature has provided for everything. A person should not dwell on his torments for a long time. If he is in constant stress, he may lose his mind.
If an individual has an eidetic memory, then the function of «erasing» images of unpleasant events is abolished. And then it becomes difficult for a gifted individual to constantly keep his psycho-emotional state in the norm. That’s why psychiatrists treat cases of congenital eidetic memory more than with restraint. When it comes to a clear bias, then this option is considered a clear deviation. Why is this happening?
Because the amount of memory required to memorize pictures occupies separate parts of the brain. This process changes the biochemical and physiological structures of cells. Thus, in one part of the brain, performance is inhibited, while in the other it is strongly developed. And this is considered a deviation from the norm. Specialist M.P. Kononova, when studying this issue, determined that children with congenital eidetic memory suffered from certain deviations. They were dominated by hallucinations and even epileptic seizures.
Still, experts recommend developing eidetic memory. Psychologists have even developed many techniques that accompany the development of such abilities. When memory develops gradually, this process simply cannot contain any negative factors.
It must be understood that absolutely identical people with the same characters and abilities simply do not exist. Therefore, among eidetics there are those whose abilities are quite strongly developed, and there are those whose abilities are less clearly expressed. As a result of this fact, experts divided the severity of photographic memory into degrees. There are only 5 of them.
- For some capable individuals, in order to reproduce something, it is necessary to fix the image in memory.
- Others may see very faint images in the visual plane.
- More in-depth eidetism involves the visualization of images that have the character of medium clarity. At the same time, in this process there is a manifestation of images of some particular details.
- The penultimate degree may allow memorization of clear and fundamental points in pictures. In this variant, some details of sensory modalities are already observed.
- And the most stable memory can reproduce quite colorful and clear details of eidetic images. Modalities at the same time appear clearly and clearly.
As it has already become clear, the last fifth degree is the most pronounced, therefore it is divided into 2 types.
- If the necessary memories a person can control and reproduce at will, memory refers to B-type.
- Persistent pictures. They have a bright and obsessive character. Eidetic images in this case border on hallucinations. These manifestations can not always be controlled by a person. it T-type.
Since people with a super-phenomenal memory are classified as unusual, they can be identified among the crowd by facial expressions and some movements that are not characteristic of ordinary people.
How to develop?
Those who are interested in developing a good memory can develop it. And here you will need to apply all your abilities, they are different for each person. Therefore, start training according to the following methods.
Nothing can be said for sure, but it is said that the artist was endowed with a photographic memory. This fact is not surprising. The profession of an artist involves memorizing various beautiful pictures. They must be clearly imprinted in the head, so that later they can be transferred to the canvas. Maybe that’s why experts have long recommended a method for developing eidetic memory with the same name.
The essence of this technique is as follows.
- It is necessary to define a thing or some animated object (you can take, for example, an animal).
- Then it is good to take a closer look at it, observe its behavior or remember its outlines.
- Then you need to close your eyes, disconnect from the outside world and try to reproduce in your mind the full picture that you just observed. It should contain all the details (color, movement, general appearance, etc.).
- Before the object is out of sight, open your eyes and compare your picture with the original. If you missed something, then correct the mistakes and try to repeat the exercise.
- Do this exercise constantly until you see a complete match of all, even the smallest details.
- When you reach a certain level, try to make the task more difficult.
There are other exercises for developing eidetic memory. Let’s consider them in order.
- This exercise can be done without spending a lot of time. For example, you go to the store. As you walk, try to count the houses, porches and even windows you meet. Remember the number you got. When you return, count all the objects again. If their number matches, then you got a good result, and your memory will soon become perfect.
- How to work with text and quickly develop photographic memory? Work out according to the following method and you will be able to memorize any texts very quickly. In order to start classes, you need to print an A4 sheet with text. The text must be completely unknown. Read carefully and memorize what is written. Then you need to ask your partner to add a few logical words to this text and print the sheet again. After the correction, the new text execution must be re-read and the newly added words found.
- If you like entertaining games and activities, then read all the signs backwards when you walk down the street. You can buy a manual for the development of logic in children and solve various tasks. Pictures called “find 12 differences”, etc., will also help in this matter.
This activity can be called gymnastics for the brain. Exercises that fall into this category not only help develop photographic memory, but are also a preventive measure against Alzheimer’s disease. They need to be performed regularly by both adults and children. Consider the simplest and most productive exercises.
- When you go to work or to the store, try to get to the place by moving along different routes. There must be several. Every time you walk on a new road, carefully look at the objects around you in every detail.
- Do you only write with your left hand? Start writing texts with your right hand. Also try brushing your teeth or holding a spoon with an unfamiliar hand during dinner.
- Look for texts whose subject matter is unusual for you, and you do not quite understand it. At the same time, try your best to delve into the very essence of the selected text.
- Every day you communicate with friends or colleagues. In a conversation, try to keep it under control. This should be done as if you were writing an article or an essay.
- If you’re interested in developing photographic memory, then turn off the TV sound often and try to understand what is being said. To test yourself, just watch the same program or movie on the Internet.
Even if you do not achieve great results, you still will not remain in the red. Your memory, thanks to exercises proven over the years, will definitely improve. And remember that it’s never too late to learn.
Famous people with eidetic memory
No wonder history has captured some of the prominent people who influenced its course. All of them had a phenomenal memory and were born and lived in different times. So, let’s start listing the geniuses.
- 26th President of the United States T. Roosevelt remembered as a peacemaker. In addition, he read 3 books every day and sharpened his memory.
- Inventor, extraordinary and mysterious person N. Tesla had a photographic memory. It is difficult to overestimate his contribution to science.
- Russian composer S. Rachmaninov could memorize notes at a very high speed. He played the most difficult pieces from memory.
- John Paul II learned in his entire life 21 languages and could speak 100 dialects.
- An American with a Phenomenal Memory Kim Peak could remember almost 100% of the information read and read 2 pages at once.
- The president Philippines Ferdinand Marcos effortlessly memorized complex texts and retold them with ease.
- Phenomenal Roman General Julius Caesar knew every soldier by sight.
- American Meryl Henner remembers all the events from childhood to the smallest detail. She has an incredible amount of memory.
- Mary Elizabeth Bowser worked in intelligence and memorized all the information that she learned behind enemy lines.
- Napoleon Bonaparte — Emperor of France He could develop various battle plans, had a phenomenal memory.