Among the many professions that exist today, such a specialization as a social teacher is not the last. Those who want to do this kind of work be sure to study future responsibilities at school according to the professional standard, job description. Attention should also be paid to training and retraining.
Who is that?
The profession of a social educator was born relatively recently - it entered the list of official professions only in 2000. Previously, the same functions were performed by directors of educational institutions and their deputies in charge of education and extracurricular activities. However, the complexity of working with students and their parents made it necessary to single out a special profile, specialists in which are ready to communicate with the most difficult students and not only with them. Social educators timely detect the conditionality of pedagogical neglect in a particular case and other possible difficulties in teaching individual students. These specialists, therefore, contrary to popular myth, do not only deal with hooligans who lag behind and show criminal inclinations or chemical addictions.
A social teacher must clearly understand all the personal, age and socio-cultural characteristics of all students. He is responsible for both legal protection and social support for children and their families. It will be his responsibility to prevent all negative impacts on the development of children. Social educators develop complete scenarios for working with a specific child. They act as coordinators of educational work for other school employees. Such specialists are simply obliged to master a variety of psychological techniques and pedagogical methods. They have to find an approach to any students, even those who demonstrate hopelessly neglected behavior and openly ignore all authorities.
Such work is very difficult and may sometimes not give a visible result for a long time. We have to deal with the most unpleasant aspects of life.
Real professionals can only dream of sitting in an office — they have to constantly go from house to house and to places where teenagers gather. Sometimes you need to work not just with rude and cynical children. There is a need to help those who are in completely uncultured circumstances. You will have to work at the intersection of pedagogy, psychology, legal assistance. It is also very important to show participation and creativity, to demonstrate an outstanding level of empathy.
When a professional comes to his workplace, he must first of all carry out diagnostics and draw up a passport for the class or group. It is also necessary to conduct a study of the situation in families. The work is carried out in close cooperation with class teachers (or with similar staff in preschool and vocational education). Attention has to be paid to:
- poor performance;
- difficult social conditions;
- intra-family relationships;
- health problems;
- difficulties in interpersonal communication.
Of course, social educators are also involved in the fight against the aggressive behavior of students, and this is a very important component of their activities. They control the empathy of the students, using special tests and verification methods for this purpose.
To prevent aggression and antisocial behavior, they resort to various measures, including encouraging physical education.. The field of activity concerns not only educational institutions in the narrow sense, but also private, family life, friendly communication of students. All this will have to be carefully controlled.
The advantage of the profession of a social pedagogue can be considered high social value. It is he who prevents, in fact, the development and aggravation of many asocial manifestations. The number of vacancies is quite large. There is a potential opportunity to give consultations. But there are also pronounced disadvantages, including:
- high psychological and emotional stress;
- the likelihood of conflicts with children, their relatives and guardians;
- high level of responsibility;
- irregular schedule;
- the difficulty of working with disagreements with the administration and other teachers;
- relatively low income.
There is no standard job description for the activities of a social pedagogue. In each educational institution, the administration forms such a document individually, taking into account the peculiarities of the approach and the specific situation. In any case, however, social educator belongs to the category of specialists. He reports directly to the director of the educational institution (or other person in charge of the educational organization). Only directors can appoint such an employee or remove him from office.
Social educators perform all their tasks in accordance with the current legislation and the instructions of the educational authorities. They are also obliged to carry out the direct orders of the directors and other representatives of the administration (but only in the part that does not contradict the law). The most important documents, whose provisions should also be implemented, are:
- statutes of educational institutions;
- inner order rules;
- position on professional ethics;
- norms for intra-school registration;
- standards for responding to accidents and offenses;
- instructions on fire, electrical safety and anti-terrorist protection;
- academic plan.
The functions of social educators are also diverse. But all of them, one way or another, boil down to 4 main areas:
- taking measures for educational and educational work, the general development of students;
- identifying problems and emerging conflicts at an early stage, preparing recommendations for parents, other teachers, third-party interested organizations to work with problem students;
- constant monitoring of the social characteristics of the entire community of schoolchildren, its individual representatives and emerging groups (including, and even primarily, informal ones);
- interaction with social protection authorities.
Such a specialist should not only master perfectly the technology of persuading children and adolescents, methods of correcting their behavior. He continuously interacts with the family and other school employees at the same time, acts as a link. At the same time, any socio-pedagogical work cannot even be perceived as a continuous impact on violators of the order, even if together with other people.
Respect for the rights and freedoms of citizens, including students of any age, will be another indispensable duty.
In addition to all of the above, social educators are engaged in:
- organization and implementation of activities that involve students in useful activities;
- supporting reasonable initiatives of schoolchildren and students, including by attracting the attention of the administration, local government and the public;
- maintaining psychological comfort in educational teams, finding and eliminating the reasons why it is violated;
- assistance to students in applying to various authorities, in defending material interests and civil rights;
- cooperation with social services, guardianship authorities, volunteers to provide assistance, including in solving housing problems;
- advising other teachers, parents and other relatives on difficult issues that arise for those.
It is important to pay attention to the norms of the professional standard. He points out the need, first of all, to form in students the experience of activities that are significant from a social and personal standpoint. The professional standard requires taking into account individual needs and inclinations, as well as developing not only intellectual, but also physical, and spiritual and moral aspects. In addition, professionals are required to:
- pedagogically accompany the activities of children’s public associations;
- organizational and methodological development of social and pedagogical support;
- help in the educational process and in extracurricular activities;
- engage in tutor support;
- analyze the life situations of students;
- develop measures for social adaptation;
- promote the development of social and personal competence;
- learn first aid skills and provide it as needed.
In addition to all of the above, it is important to characterize the required qualifications. It can be obtained at the level of secondary or higher professional education. There are usually no work experience requirements for candidates.
But at the discretion of the administration of specific educational institutions, the opportunity is left to raise the bar of requirements. At the highest level, it is usually required to work at least 10 years in advance in the specialty.
Knowledge and skills
The social educator must be proficient in:
- proper general pedagogy;
- normative acts of various levels regulating the work of educational structures;
- the basics of social pedagogy and its key methods;
- the basics of labor, family, civil, administrative, criminal, administrative procedural and criminal procedural law;
- the concept of social policy of the Russian Federation;
- developmental psychology;
- basic information from the field of psychiatry.
Additionally, you will need to study:
- basics of a healthy lifestyle;
- the basics of working on a PC;
- document flow norms;
- conflict diagnostic methods;
- socio-psychological diagnostics;
- the convention on the rights of the child;
- social hygiene;
- methods of working with multimedia equipment.
The powers of social educators include building interactions at their discretion (adjusted for the laws and policies of the educational institution) with other structures, including:
- other educational institutions;
- cultural institutions;
- sports facilities;
- bodies of socio-psychological assistance;
- public organizations;
- local governments;
- regional administrations;
- law enforcement agencies;
- commercial structures;
- international organizations;
- educational associations.
A social pedagogue has the right to demand assistance from other employees of educational institutions in the performance of their duties. But there are two conditions: this help is really needed, and it can be provided by a specific person. And also, within the limits of their competence, they can give orders to trained and auxiliary personnel. It is also allowed:
- demand the creation of normal conditions for their work;
- to achieve the necessary adjustments in the educational process, in the methods of work of the teaching staff;
- make decisions within their functions, taking into account the level of competence.
But social educators also have a responsibility:
- for untimely and incomplete performance of their duties;
- for disclosure of secrets protected by law or its transfer to unauthorized persons;
- for violation of safety regulations;
- for non-execution of authorized instructions of the management and regulatory documents;
- for non-compliance with the work schedule.
Even places in a number of specialized secondary educational institutions are open for training social pedagogues. It is primarily about:
- Perm National Socio-Pedagogical College;
- College at RSSU;
- International College of Arts and Communications;
- 4th Pedagogical College of St. Petersburg;
- Polytechnic College of Urban Economy (also in St. Petersburg);
- educational complex “Vorobyovy Gory”;
- faculty of secondary vocational education at the Moscow University for the Humanities and Economics.
Outside of Moscow and St. Petersburg, there are also secondary educational institutions that train social teachers. Among them stand out in the first place:
- aviation technical college of Nizhny Novgorod;
- department of secondary vocational education at NSTU (Novosibirsk);
- College of Construction, Architecture and Urban Economy;
- Omsk Humanitarian College;
- socio-pedagogical college of Samara;
- Northern Pedagogical College in Yekaterinburg;
- vocational-pedagogical college in Perm;
- socio-pedagogical college of Volgograd;
- Istra Professional College.
But you can go through primary education in a higher educational institution. A good example is the Moscow State Regional University. You can also apply to:
- Moscow Humanitarian University;
- Moscow Pedagogical University;
- Russian State Pedagogical University named after Herzen;
- Volgograd Institute of Arts and Culture;
- Yugra State University;
- Medical University of Kazan;
- Ryazan State University;
- Tula Pedagogical University;
- Vladimir University named after Stoletovs;
- Orel State University;
- state universities of Kostroma, Adygea, Sochi;
- Yaroslavl Pedagogical University.
It is worth noting that, regardless of the chosen educational institution, self-education also plays a very important role. They have to be engaged constantly during the entire period of professional activity. Social educators should be aware of up-to-date information regarding:
- educational standards;
- youth fashion and subcultures;
- popular among the youth cultural phenomena;
- pedagogical and methodological approaches;
- psychology and a number of other fields.
Self-education is carried out in accordance with an individually developed plan. And also the development of additional skills and knowledge in a collective mode can be practiced. Establishing informal contacts with more professional teachers plays a very important role. Additionally, it is worth using didactic materials and pedagogical publications. It is also extremely important to study your main experience, mistakes made and achievements achieved.
A number of educational institutions offer retraining packages for social educators. Such services are available at:
- Academy of Business and Systems Management;
- Center for Additional Professional Education and Distance Learning Technologies;
- International Academy of Expertise and Evaluation;
- National Academy of Additional Professional Education;
- institute ROPKiP;
- Northwestern Academy of Additional Professional Education and Vocational Training;
- National University of Modern Technologies.
Place of work
The level of demand for this profession is very high. It is relevant in any school, in technical schools, schools and colleges, at universities, academies and institutes. You can also get a job at:
- preschool educational institutions;
- system of additional education;
- institutions of the Ministry of Justice and the Ministry of Internal Affairs;
- career guidance center;
- employment services;
- bodies of social protection;
- child protection;
- youth organizations.
Despite the high demand for the profession, one should not expect high rates. Beginning specialists usually receive an income in the region of 15,000 rubles. With an increase in the category, with length of service or receiving special surcharges, the salary gradually reaches 30,000 rubles. The most advanced specialists can earn much more — up to 60 thousand on average in Russia. In Moscow, rates vary from 35 to 95 thousand, but it is extremely difficult to get the largest amounts.
Additional payment for the special complexity of the work is 35% of the base salary. After working 2–5 years, it will be possible to receive an addition of 10%. With an experience of at least 20 years, the surcharge will be already 30%.
Skill level bonuses, personal coefficients, compensatory surcharges, overtime payments may apply.