Any student sooner or later wonders what kind of profession to choose in order to ensure financial stability in the future and at the same time enjoy their favorite pastime in life.
Psychologists say that it is important to take into account not only professional inclinations and personal interests, but also to find the right match and the golden mean between the characteristics of a person’s character and the characteristics of a particular profession. Consider what to focus on in order to choose a profession to your liking.
What influences the choice?
Based on a survey of applicants, psychologists divide them into 3 broad categories:
- those who have long made their choice and know which institute or university and which specific specialty they want to enter;
- those who have so far chosen only a further general direction in the profession — humanitarian or technical, but have not yet decided on a specific faculty and university;
- those who are not very interested in entering somewhere, but do it for some specific circumstances, for example, under pressure from their parents, so they are ready to do it “no matter where” with the least effort.
Meanwhile, there are many factors that must be taken into account when choosing a profession.
Aptitudes, abilities, interests
The type of future professional activity in any case depends on the personality of a particular person. For example, if he is sociable, activities related to contacts are more suitable for him, and if he is emotionally unstable, such a person is hardly created for activities that require maximum concentration. Interest is a certain desire for knowledge of a subject and a passionate desire to study it. A propensity is a desire to engage in a particular activity in the future.
Interests and inclinations may not always coincide or be directed towards several activities. It is interest that often prompts a person to acquire certain knowledge and helps to overcome possible obstacles on the long path of mastering a new profession. In addition to interest, certain abilities for this type of activity are also needed. These are individual factors that ensure the success of the assimilation and implementation of a new type of activity. But the inability to correlate abilities with the requirements of the profession just leads teenagers sometimes to the wrong and unreasonable choice.
If a high school student has difficulty identifying interests and abilities, it is worth understanding this step by step and relating your hobbies to the offers on the modern labor market.
- For example, many teenagers like to play computer games, then you can pay attention to the specialty of a programmer, of course, if everything is in order with other grades and technical subjects at school. And if you like art, you can master, for example, the profession of a designer that is popular and in demand these days, or the less popular but no less interesting profession of an art critic or a museum worker.
- If at one time you were professionally engaged in one of the sports, then the profession of a coach in your favorite discipline is just for you.
- If you are fond of chemistry or medicine, you can become a pharmacist or even a doctor.
- But the skills to cook and bake cakes can be turned into the profession of a cook or pastry chef.
It is worth approaching the selection of a future occupation in life with all responsibility, which means that you should think in advance whether you have any contraindications for health. It is advisable to consult with an experienced doctor in order to realistically assess your physical capabilities, especially if it is not about sedentary work in the office. Although not everyone can work even in an office — for example, those who have vision problems can hardly sit at a computer for 8 hours a day.
There are enough health contraindications for certain professions. Work should bring joy, and not be the source and cause of frequent trips to the doctor. And some features can even become an obstacle to getting a certain job.
For example, if you have heart problems, you definitely won’t become an athlete or a pilot. It is unreasonable for an “experienced” allergy sufferer to become a chemist or a hairdresser, even if it has always been a dream to experiment with hair coloring.
Of course, people with a solid financial position will have more choice and chances to enter, as there are paid departments where you can enter even if you do not get the required points. Consider the fact that there are specialties that require you to buy expensive consumables. But if you are confident in your abilities and knowledge, you should not despair: feel free to try to enter the budget. And if this plan fails, talk to close relatives if they can help you financially while studying at a paid department.
Future financial stability
Priorities in the modern labor market change quite quickly, but there are certain professions that are consistently in demand, as it is believed that they are able to provide a person with reliable financial stability in the future. One of the aspects of choosing the main professional occupation is ensuring a decent standard of living for yourself and your future family.
In other words, you need to earn enough so that you can not worry about your future and your loved ones. Of course, for each criterion of financial stability is different — someone needs several apartments and cars, and someone is content with a modest but decent salary, which is enough not to spend money exclusively on food, but also gradually save up for further large purchases.
Passing special career guidance tests helps a lot in choosing a future profession. They will help you to correctly assess your abilities and choose a specialty in the future, taking into account individual characteristics. Tests can be found on the Internet and you can easily pass them yourself. If you wish, you can also sign up for a consultation with a psychologist or vocational guidance specialist who will help you find the right direction in finding a profession according to your interests and needs, and will also reveal some secrets of choice that you probably did not know about before.
To independently assess your capabilities, compare the abilities and requirements that the profession makes. They must match. Difficulties, as a rule, arise with creative professions.
If you focus solely on your hidden talents when choosing a specialty, soberly assess the prospects and think about whether you have enough inspiration for constant creative activity.
Choosing a profession in the subjects of the exam
There are many virtual services on the Internet that offer to decide on the choice of a profession, depending on which USE subjects you are going to take. Using this tool, you can choose a specialty in the universities of a particular city in Russia. Just enter the USE subjects, city, and the system will display an individual selection of specialties for which specific subjects are suitable, as well as universities where you can get a certain profession. Usually you need to take 3-4 subjects or 2 subjects, but at the same time pass a creative competition.
Be sure and everyone will have to pass the Russian language and mathematics. An approximate list of state exams for certain specialties may be as follows:
- philologist, journalist (Russian language, literature, mathematics, foreign language);
- doctor (biology, Russian language, mathematics, chemistry);
- engineer (physics, mathematics, Russian language);
- lawyer (social science, mathematics, Russian language);
- economist, manager (Russian language, social studies, mathematics).
In order not to make a mistake when choosing a future specialty, you should pay attention to the most common misconceptions of schoolchildren and applicants who are trying to find the right answer to the age-old question: who to be.
Ignorance of the world of professions
This is one of the most common mistakes that teenagers have not yet formed as a personality. Many high school students have little idea of what is happening in the labor market, what professions are popular, promising, etc. Presses on the choice and the need to urgently decide on a specialty and a set of exams for admission to universities. For a more successful choice, take the career guidance tests that we have already mentioned in the article.
Here is an example of several such errors. Often, when choosing a career path, applicants are guided by the prestige of a particular profession. In this case, there are too many professions of a certain specialty on the labor market (for example, economists, lawyers, marketers, bankers). Agree, these specialties are not suitable for everyone, for someone they will not be a joy, but a burden in the future.
In addition, it is worth considering the demand in the labor market, physical abilities and mental predisposition to a certain field of activity.
The pressure of others
As a rule, those around you are close relatives who want you well and everything has long been decided for you. Parents have their own view on a promising field of activity. And it’s good if they take into account the interests and talents of the child. And if not, this leads to quarrels in the family or the need to receive a second education in the future. The main thing for such relatives to understand is that it will be difficult to study against their will, and even more difficult then to go to an unloved job. Therefore, first of all, consider the point of view, interests and abilities of the teenager himself.
Follow in the footsteps of your idol
A common mistake of impressionable schoolchildren when hormones are playing is the passion for a certain person (it can be an actor, singer, etc.) and, in accordance with this, the choice of a vocation in life. This often predetermines the scope of activities in the future.
In this case, before making a decision on choosing a profession, you should definitely learn as much as possible about it, talk with its representatives about the intricacies of a particular specialty, and also talk with a professional psychologist.
Learn for the company
In cases where the “dream profession” has not been found, and it is urgent to enter a university and take exams, guys often choose the USE kit for entering a university or institute just for the company of friends. At first, it may be fun and good to study if you like the specialization. But it may happen that school friends then go their own way or you will not be interested in your chosen profession. So this is something to think about beforehand.
Desire to study in a certain place
Such a desire is very commendable — it means that you have clearly decided on the path and know what you want, this indicates your interest in choosing a future profession. Another thing is that there may be too much competition in this university or the training program will not interest you.
Sometimes a certain place is chosen to move to another city and get rid of overprotective parents. Think about whether the prestige of an educational institution or the desire to escape from home is worth it in order to go to study in a specialty that is far from the desired one?
Misjudgment of one’s abilities
You need to soberly and realistically approach the assessment of the strengths and weaknesses of your personality, take into account your temperament. For example, if you are in some sense an introvert and not very confident in communicating with people, it is hardly worth choosing the profession of a teacher or a journalist. Self-esteem, when choosing an occupation to your liking, should be neither too high nor too low, so as not to bury your talents in the ground. As in other cases, all sorts of career guidance tests and a conversation with an experienced psychologist help doubting applicants a lot.
In conclusion, we will give applicants some advice from psychologists, which will certainly help with further self-determination and proper career guidance.
- All professions are reduced to the following algorithm and the choice of three main areas: «man-man», «man-mechanisms» and «man-nature». Choose one of these main and important landmarks first.
- To narrow the circle within the chosen professions, we remove all unnecessary, that is, those types of activities that you frankly do not like. Divide them into two types: what you never want to do, and what you agree to, but you will not get pleasure from it. Make a second list of what you like to do. Now just evaluate which professions suit you the most.
- Make a list of 5-10 such professions and talk live with experts in these areas. It is even better if you manage to complete an internship in order to understand whether this is exactly your line of work or not. As a result, there will be 1-2 professions that have sunk into your soul. But the most valuable and ambitious advice is given by the successful people of this world: you should initially set high goals for yourself and choose the area where you want to become one of the best specialists in your city, and maybe the country.
- Do not be too lazy to write out in detail on a piece of paper the pros and cons of each of the options. You can even analyze the received options with adults, for example, close relatives in whom you are confident and whose opinion you listen to the most.
And always remember: the choice is yours alone, no one can persuade you to get a certain profession against your will. In fact, you choose your own destiny. And it is better in the future to be responsible for this choice yourself and, if necessary, to work on the mistakes, than to blame someone for ruining your life or leading you astray.
Remember that a profession should bring not only money, but also pleasure, and also help a person realize his abilities and potential to the maximum.