Choosing the right profession is a long and often very exciting process that allows you to take a fresh look at yourself and realize your desires and opportunities. The question «who will I work?» relevant not only for graduates who select a higher educational institution for further education. Many adults with decent work experience consider changing careers, especially if the current position has not brought them satisfaction and did not give them career growth.
To make a balanced and deliberate decision, you should first of all understand your own skills and expectations, and in addition, in the modern labor market and in-demand professions.
What to be guided by?
It does not matter at all who is faced with the choice: in front of yesterday’s schoolchild or an adult who has gone through a personality crisis and a reassessment of values. It is important for both of them to understand that not every profession in the modern world can be well paid, and some are dying off altogether, just as the professions of lamplighters or telephone operators died out in their time. You can truly succeed only in those areas that are experiencing their growth and flourishing.
Experts make their predictions based on the following information:
- domestic political and foreign political situation in the country;
- the pace of economic development of the country;
- rates of economic and innovative development of separate regions.
To date, leading experts have compiled a list of the ten most sought-after professions in which there are the most opportunities to achieve career success.
- IT specialist. IT specialists today are not only web developers and programmers, but also numerous marketers, testers and designers. The work will require a high learning rate, a mathematical mindset and flexibility of thinking.
- Interpreter. The successful cooperation of our government with the countries of Asia in recent years has dramatically expanded the translation camp from West to East. Naturally, specialists with knowledge of English, German or French will not be left without work either, but, according to experts, translators from Chinese will soon become the most in demand.
- Auto Mechanic. For those who prefer to work not only with their heads, but also with their hands, the profession of an auto technician is perfect. In order to become successful with little golden hands, you need to have a broad outlook, be aware of the latest developments and speak English at least at an intermediate level.
- Doctor. The medical field today is one of those that are suffering from a shortage of professionals. Today, our state offers young doctors certain support and various benefits, which can be a good starting point, especially in the provinces.
- Designer. The industry, as before, needs competent design engineers. The prestige of this profession is increasing every year.
- beauty industry worker. This specialist will turn out only from someone who not only knows how to cut or dye well, but also has an idea about the psychology of the client, the basics of marketing and knows how to present himself as a sought-after professional.
- logistician. The profession of a logistician does not lose its popularity either — a person coordinating the chain of delivery of goods and raw materials from a warehouse to production or a store.
- Marketer. The market for goods and services is only growing every year, and therefore, good marketers are more and more in demand, able to competently track customer preferences and increase the level of company sales.
- trade representative. A promising profession for the brave and not afraid of risk. Direct work with buyers face to face, constant travel and stress — this is only a small part of what you have to face.
- Cook. For several decades in a row, the chef’s profession has not lost its leading position.
But in recent years, ordinary chefs have also become more and more in demand, whose salaries have increased by 15-20% over this period.
As you can see, popular professions cover many areas, and choosing a job to your taste, although not easy, is still possible. To choose the main direction in which to develop, first of all, you need to do introspection and honestly answer a number of questions.
- What am I interested in? All people are different and their preferences are also different. It’s not for nothing that a popular picture with the inscription “every day someone goes to your dream job and hates it with all their heart” has been walking on the Internet for many years. One prefers to work with numbers and graphs in silence and solitude, while the other does not see life without noisy meetings and mass discussions with colleagues.
- What can I do? At this step, you need to list your skills and strengths as honestly as possible. Do not exaggerate the merits and deceive yourself, this is not a resume where everyone slightly embellishes their abilities. However, you should not underestimate your merits, be modest either.
- Where am I at right now? At this step, you need to understand what kind of education you have, whether it is possible to quickly retrain for the chosen profession and whether there is enough money for this. Is there an opportunity to quickly retrain and whether your life and the life of your family will suffer?
- Where should I move based on today’s opportunities? After analyzing all of the above, you can sketch out a small plan in which the movement towards the chosen goal will be outlined point by point. Even the largest task, broken down into separate small tasks, looks more solvable.
It is far from always possible to find a job to your liking, simply by considering the lists of professions in demand. Sometimes introspection and market research is not enough. Various tests and methods will come to the rescue, allowing you to find your dream profession.
- Differential diagnosis according to E. A. Klimov.
- Questionnaire according to the method of J. Holland.
- Profession choice matrix.
- Methodology using the «Map of Interests».
- «Hedgehog concept» by American business consultant J. Collins.
Common mistakes when choosing
There are several common mistakes that people who are looking for work keep making time after time.
- The choice is only with the head or only with the heart. When choosing a profession, you cannot rely only on what you want or only on what is in demand. It is important to find a compromise between the two paths.
- Listen to others and not listen to yourself. Choosing a profession that was imposed by parents, teachers, or just in company with friends is a big mistake. It is not at all necessary to have heated arguments with your family, you can even listen to the opinions of those you trust, but the final decision should be made only by yourself.
- One profession for life. This postulate should remain in the past, when the unhurried rhythm of life dictated its conditions. Today, a change of profession is possible even at the age of 40-50, and you can learn to be a specialist without leaving your own home.
- Always dream and never do. Today, the philosophy “dream and everything will come true” is popular, in which, of course, there is some truth, but there is also a considerable danger. If you only dream, without doing anything or making any effort, you can spend the rest of your life doing this activity.
It is worth remembering that great results always require work and courage to take the first step.
It’s not easy for everyone to decide on their skills and hobbies when looking for a dream job. To simplify this study, you can use a few tips.
- Remember what disciplines were easiest in school.
- Analyze who friends and relatives work for.
- Think about what you like more: working with people or avoiding contact with strangers.
- Decide where it is more comfortable to work: indoors, in the workshop or outdoors.
It is reasonable and not at all superfluous to sign up for a consultation with a psychologist. The specialist will help to draw up a psychological portrait of the client and select suitable areas of employment in which he will feel as comfortable as possible.