It seems that there is not a single person left on the planet who has not heard about vegetarianism and veganism at least once. Today we will help you understand the peculiarities of this direction in the culture of food, and also tell you about the correct transition to it.
In this article you will learn:
If you opened this article, it means that the topic still interested you. It’s time for change!
Do not be afraid of the length of the article, because if you are interested in just one question: “What is the difference between vegetarianism and veganism?”, Then you can find the answer to it in the first paragraph. All subsequent information will be for those people who are interested in other aspects of this topic and are considering this type of food for later life.
What is the difference between Vegetarianism and Veganism?
Vegetarianism — eating plant and dairy foods with a complete rejection of meat, fish and seafood.
The prefix “veg” itself means the rejection of meat, but in the culture of vegetarianism there are other diet options: ovolacto-vegetarianism and lacto-vegetarianism. The former consume eggs, but exclude milk, while the latter consume dairy products.
But, if you do not want to bother yourself with a lot of terms, then stick to the classic definitions of vegetarianism and veganism.
Veganism is a plant-based diet with a complete rejection of animal products (meat, fish, seafood and dairy products). Also, in very rare cases, vegans refuse honey, as the process of obtaining this product involves the exploitation of bees.
Having analyzed the nutritional policy of vegetarianism and veganism, it is worth adding that vegetarians also do not wear clothes made of leather and fur, and vegans still do not visit circuses and zoos, and often call for giving animals freedom by returning them to their natural habitat.
Why switch to this type of diet, and how will it affect health?
There are a huge number of scientists who prove to us the importance of eating animal protein. But there are also other scientists and ordinary people who go against the system, conduct experiments and, by their own example, prove that you can live without meat!
There are and will be people in your life who will say the same phrase that vegetarianism and veganism are evil. But let’s look at this situation differently: if you decide to change something in your life, and you like it, you won’t listen to someone, will you? Of course not, because this is your life and your experience! Likewise with food. Learn the topic, feel your body and become healthier.
The products that are now being offered to us for food in the supermarket are just a bunch of advertising projects. Eating everything and not thinking about their health, some people will say that vegetarianism is evil, not noticing how they themselves are killing their bodies.
Where to begin?
- Watching documentaries: “Earthlings” 2005, “Cattle Plot” and “What does health have to do with it”
- Reading books on nutrition: The China Study, I’m Beautiful. I’m slim. And I’m a bitch”
- Switching to a healthy diet. Food is material that can be absorbed by the body and become part of its cells and fluid. Therefore, all useless materials can be toxic to the body.
- Avoid all synthetic and chemical products. These foods have nothing to do with healthy eating. Cut them out, but don’t cut out meat entirely at this point. Remember that you need to cleanse the body gradually.
- Gradual addition of vegetables and fruits to the diet. Prepare salads, snack on fruits, nuts and more. Your diet should look like this: 50% of your usual food (animal and boiled) and 50% of new healthy food (fresh fruits and vegetables) that he will get used to.
- Fruits and vegetables as a complete meal. So you accustom the body to fill up on fruits and vegetables, and it already needs less animal products.
- Refusal of products of animal origin. At this stage, your body is ready for veganism, so feel free to try and monitor your well-being.
Remember that the right approach is the key to an excellent result!
Neither vegetarianism nor veganism is evil or insanity, it is a balanced, proper and healthy diet, if you switch to it wisely and with well-studied material.
If you are afraid that you will not have enough protein, strength, energy, hair, nails and much more will begin to fall out, then you simply believe all the stereotypes that our society carries. Half of the athletes and artists are vegans or vegetarians, and they have enough strength with energy for everything.
Just look on the Internet for the statement of famous scientists, you will not believe that the topic of healthy eating dates back to ancient times.
“We can eat human flesh just as well as we do with animal meat.” — Diogenes, Greek philosopher.
“From an early age I avoided eating meat and I believe that the time will come when people like me will look at killing an animal the way they now look at killing a person.” — Leonardo da Vinci.
How to replace animal protein?
- Seeds and nuts. They are not only rich in protein, but also in healthy fats necessary for the health of the heart and blood vessels;
- Legumes (peas, lentils, beans and mache);
- Sprouts of cereal crops (wheat, buckwheat, oats, etc.);
- Broccoli and more;
5 mistakes when switching to a new type of food
- Abrupt change in nutrition. For all the years of your life, the body has become accustomed to your type of food. Do not injure him and switch to a different type of food in one day. Do everything gradually. In cases of veganism or vegetarianism, you can first refuse meat, and then exclude fish, milk and other things with each subsequent time.
- Start your dietary change by adding a huge amount of fruit. If you switch to a healthy diet, this does not mean that you should eat fruits in kilograms. The fact is that at the very beginning of a diet change, people usually have a huge amount of fermentative bacteria in the intestines, which over so many years have appeared thanks to yeast buns, sugar and other things. What is the danger? The use of fruits will lead to abundant gas formation and fermentation, which in turn have a bad effect on well-being, give lethargy and unpleasant odors. Therefore, eat no more fruits and carbohydrates, but vegetables!
- Refusing meat, lean on cheese and milk. Dairy products can cause allergic reactions, and not everyone digests them well, causing stomach pain and constant fatigue. Those who have ever encountered the problem of profuse rashes on the face, back and chest know exactly what it is. It is best to replace such products with high-quality and healthy oils: linseed, sesame, pumpkin or olive.
- If, after eating sugary or dairy products, you notice severe rashes on your face or body, you should see a doctor and get tested. You might be the one to stop eating these foods!
- Prove and teach. You begin to prove to everyone that it is your type of food that is right and suitable for everyone. You don’t need to do that! You are wasting your extra energy. Better take care of your health without proving anything to anyone. Because the body of each person is individual. It is important to learn to feel it and trust its signals.
- Forbid. You start to change your diet and stay on willpower. So, you should not forbid yourself, but on the contrary, at the very beginning, understand why you need it and listen to your body. You can’t go far with willpower.
Share, which of you found out your mistakes when trying to switch to a healthy diet?
And for those who have firmly decided to change their diet or have already changed, we want to wish good luck and never stop on the path to self-improvement!