During the strawberry season, a person is recommended to eat at least three kilograms of goodies. It has a beneficial effect on the functioning of the cardiovascular system, strengthens the immune system, normalizes intestinal motility, helps with anemia, calms and helps to cope with insomnia. Especially for you, we have collected the most important facts about all the properties and uses of strawberries.
TOP 5 little-known facts about strawberries
1. Relieves pain
Many believe that the benefits of a healthy diet show up over time. However, scientists from the University of California at Los Angeles have refuted this opinion. Experts have found that strawberries are not only good for health, but also have a number of advantages compared to other berries.
The healing properties of antioxidants contained in the berry appear in record time.
Strawberries quickly cleanse the blood, perfectly strengthen the immune system and normalize metabolism. It has elements that help fight the disruption of the cardiovascular system, diseases of the joints, kidneys, liver, and even cancer.
It has been noticed that eating berries can relieve headaches, toothaches, and also help to recover faster after a cold.
2.Pairs well with products
Most often, strawberries are consumed with dairy products. Interestingly, this berry goes well with poultry, cheese and seafood. According to gourmets, the most delicious will be strawberries fried in butter, to which black pepper is added. But most often, experts recommend eating strawberries as a dessert.
Since strawberries can cause fermentation in the stomach, this berry is best consumed separately from other dishes..
3. Enriched with beneficial iron
Strawberries contain copper, which helps produce collagen, a substance that is good for the skin. Strawberry masks have a rejuvenating effect, and the juice of this berry helps to remove age spots.
Doctors recommend making berry masks for all skin from time to time. This will not only prolong its elasticity, but also give a healthy color.
4. Strawberries are the hormone of happiness
Surprisingly, sweet strawberries are able to lower blood sugar, so they can be for those who have diabetes. Due to the fact that it slows down the absorption of carbohydrates, it helps to reduce weight. And strawberries make us happier, and all because it contributes to the production of the hormone of happiness.
5. Popular in star nutrition
Many Hollywood stars, in particular Victoria Beckham, try to set aside three days each month and eat only one strawberry. Such a habit, according to Victoria, allows you to stay in good shape. By the way, only 150 grams of these berries will help relieve stress and neutralize negative emotions.
How to choose the right strawberries
The first strawberries appeared on store shelves and market layouts. Which berries to choose to benefit from the product?
- It is better to buy strawberries in the market, and not in the store. Supermarkets, as a rule, receive only overseas goods.
- The berries should not have a wet sheen. Be sure to make sure that they are tight to the touch and have no damage.
- Large strawberries look appetizing but lack flavor and are likely full of nitrates. Choose medium-sized berries.
- A distinctive feature of delicious strawberries is a dark red color. In addition, sweet berries have a fragrant smell.
- Wash the strawberries in cold water and leave in a warm room for one hour. If during this time she does not let the juice out, then there are a lot of chemicals in the berries — you should not eat such a product.
- Ukrainian strawberries appear on sale only at the end of May. The perfect kind of berries that you see on the shelves now came from Spain or Turkey. Don’t trust sellers who claim to be selling a local natural product!
- Remember, early strawberries are not subject to long-term storage, so you need to eat them within one or two days after purchase.
- Select not crushed and strong berries that have pedicels. Such strawberries have not yet lost their supply of vitamin C.
- Do not buy too large berries — yes, they are beautiful, but more watery in taste. By the way, there are as many vitamins in them as in small ones.
- Strawberries should not have specks — they are a sign of spoilage or chemical treatment.
- On sale you can find light varieties and darker ones. The first were brought from the surrounding area, the second — usually from the south of Ukraine. So do not think that light strawberries are unripe, just ask the seller where they come from.
- Smell the berries: if they are ripe without artificial help, they will have a pleasant strong aroma. And if there is almost none, the strawberries were treated with chemicals so that they grow faster.
- If possible, try the berries before you buy. The taste of metal indicates a high content of nitrates.
Who is contraindicated for strawberries
Strawberries are considered one of the most useful, because they contain a whole complex of vitamins, including: A, C and B5. It also contains iron, potassium, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, zinc, manganese, copper and silicon. However, strawberries are not for everyone.
Who should give up strawberries?
- First of all, people suffering from gastritis or peptic ulcer should be wary of berries. The fact is that strawberries irritate the mucous membrane and can cause a painful condition.
- Do not get carried away with delicacy and those who feel pain in the joints — the abuse of strawberries can aggravate the condition.
- Experts say that the fragrant berry will not benefit those who use medications for high blood pressure based on enapril — in combination with strawberries, this component gives a big load on the kidneys.
- Due to their porous structure, strawberries accumulate pollen, which can cause allergies, so allergy sufferers should also be on their guard.
If you do not belong to any of the above categories, you can safely enjoy this delicious berry, especially since the strawberry season is so short!
What if I’m allergic to strawberries?
Denying yourself the pleasure of eating strawberries? It is worth eating a handful of your favorite berry, how do rashes, itching, headache and digestive problems appear? The symptoms are indeed characteristic of an allergy. However, do not rush to the diagnosis. You may just have a food intolerance to histamine. This problem can be easily solved!
Strawberries are not only tasty and fragrant, but also a very healthy berry. Vitamin C, iodine, folic and salicylic acid contained in it help the body resist viruses and inflammatory processes. Perhaps that is why they say that those who eat a lot of strawberries in the season are less sick in winter. At the same time, the berry belongs to the list of foods high in histamine. Individual food intolerance to this substance causes symptoms that we often confuse with allergies.
What is histamine food intolerance?
Histamine is an important substance that our body produces. This is a mediator substance that plays an important role in the reaction of the immune system, responsible for the body’s defense response to foreign elements, and also provides a number of other important processes.
Histamine enters the body with food. Its content is high in alcoholic beverages (especially red wine), cheeses, smoked meat and sausages, fish and seafood (especially if they are canned or stored in brine). Coffee, cocoa, soybeans and tofu, wheat flour, pickled vegetables, strawberries, kiwis, as well as bananas, citrus fruits, pears and pineapples are also rich in histamine.
In most cases, histamine is absorbed normally. However, if the enzyme diamine oxidase (DAO) is not produced in sufficient quantities in the body, unpleasant symptoms similar to allergies appear. These can include itching, hives, red spots on the skin, swelling, cramps, bloating, cramps, diarrhea, sneezing, runny nose, cough, headache, pressure changes, rapid heart rate, and dizziness. There may be chronic manifestations: excessive fatigue, painful menstruation, nervousness, sleep disturbances, anxiety and depression.
As you can see, the symptoms are very similar to allergies. To make a correct diagnosis, you need to undergo an examination.
How to solve a problem?
First of all, you must, of course, adjust your diet and stick to a diet with a reduced histamine content. However, this does not mean that you need to forget about your favorite products forever. To enjoy strawberries, chocolate, your favorite type of wine and other goodies, it is enough to take the enzyme diamine oxidase (DAO), which is necessary for the breakdown of histamine, with food.
Strawberries for beauty
You can make a healthy infusion of fresh strawberries. For this, 2 tbsp. spoons of ripe berries pour a glass of boiling water, insist in a thermos for 1.5 hours, strain. Take as a diuretic and diaphoretic half a cup before meals.
But be careful: people with an allergy to it, stomach ulcers and gastritis should not eat strawberries. And for everyone else it is very useful to use strawberries with cream and milk.
To preserve youth and beauty, it is useful to make masks from it.
1. Strawberry mask for dry skin
For dry aging skin, a mask with the addition of olive oil and fresh cottage cheese will help. For two parts of softened strawberries, I add one part of cottage cheese and 1–2 teaspoons of olive oil. The resulting mass is mixed and applied to the face for 15 minutes. Then I wash off with water and lubricate with cream.
2. Strawberry anti-wrinkle mask
For 2 st. spoons of mashed strawberries, add 1 teaspoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of sour cream. Mix and apply on face for 20 minutes. Wash off with water and apply cream.
Strawberry recipes: first, second and dessert
Strawberry season is short, have you just tasted real fragrant summer berries? Then let’s cook delicious desserts from them!
Brownie cake with mascarpone cream
Ingredients: 350 g dark chocolate, 200 g butter, 150 g sugar, 400 g strawberries, 3 eggs, 130 g flour, 1/2 tsp. soda, a pinch of salt, 200 ml cream (fat content 33%), 200 g mascarpone, 150 g diet cottage cheese
- Chop the chocolate. Dissolve half of the butter and chocolate over low heat, along with 100 g of sugar. Let cool. Wash, peel and dry strawberries.
- Heat the oven to 170°. Beat eggs and combine with chocolate mixture. Add sifted flour, soda and salt. Mix. Put the resulting dough into a form lined with parchment. Bake 40 min. Let cool and put on a flat plate.
- Whip the cream with the remaining sugar. Combine mascarpone with cottage cheese and then with sweet cream. Spread the cream over the chocolate cake. Place chopped strawberries on top. Decorate as desired and serve immediately.
Gazpacho with berries
Ingredients: 300 g of tomatoes, 1 pod of red sweet pepper, 300 g of strawberries, 100 g of white bread, 2 tbsp. l. olive oil, 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar, 2 sprigs of green basil, ice cubes, salt, pepper
- Dip the tomatoes for half an hour in boiling water, then peel. Wash and peel strawberries. Remove the stalk with seeds from the pepper pod, cut the pulp into cubes. Cut off the crust from the bread, soak the crumb in cold water.
- Put tomatoes, strawberries, squeezed bread, sweet peppers into a blender bowl. Add oil, vinegar, 100 ml of cold water, a sprig of basil and chop. Salt and pepper a little. Add ice cubes and crush again. Pour into portioned plates or bowls and serve, decorating with leaves from the remaining basil sprig.
Jelly with cream
Ingredients: 30 g gelatin, 300 g strawberries, 300 ml strawberry compote, 4 tbsp. l. sugar, 1 sachet of vanilla sugar, 200 ml cream (fat content 33%), 2 tbsp. l. icing sugar, mint leaves for decoration
- Pour gelatin with strawberry compote and leave for 30 minutes. Wash, peel and pat dry strawberries on a paper towel. Leave a third for decoration, chop the rest of the berries in a blender. Mix with regular and vanilla sugar.
- Dissolve gelatin in a hot water bath. Whip cream with powdered sugar. Add 1 tsp. cooled gelatin and stir. Pour into the bottom of wide glasses and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Combine remaining gelatin with strawberry mixture. Divide into glasses and refrigerate for 3 hours. Before serving, decorate the dessert with berries and mint leaves.
Salad with chicken
Ingredients: 250 g chicken fillet, 150 g strawberries, 70 g lettuce, 125 g mozzarella, 2 sprigs of greens, 2 tbsp. l. pine nuts, 1 tsp balsamic vinegar, 4 tbsp. l. olive oil, salt, ground pepper
- Wash the chicken fillet, dip it in boiling salted water and cook after boiling again for 40 minutes. Let cool and cut.
- Wash the strawberries, peel and dry well, laying out on a paper towel. Wash lettuce, dry and tear. Cut mozzarella balls into halves.
- Wash and dry the greens. Tear off the leaves and finely chop. Roast the pine nuts in a dry frying pan.
- Combine vinegar with olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix all the salad ingredients, pour over the resulting sauce and sprinkle with pine nuts.
Strawberry diet: how to lose weight and cleanse the body
Summer is a great opportunity to enjoy sweet berries and lose weight at the same time! On a strawberry diet, you can lose 3–4 kg in 3 days and cleanse the body.
Principle of the strawberry diet
If you want to lose weight, but you can not give up sweets, the strawberry diet is what you need. For three unloading days, it is really possible to lose 3–4 kg. Strawberries have a lot of seeds, because this berry is a rich source of fiber, which improves bowel function and helps to reduce weight and cleanse the body. That is, the strawberry diet also has a detox effect. In addition, compared to many fruits, strawberries have a much lower glycemic index (the ability to raise blood sugar). And finally, they contain many valuable vitamins, trace elements and fruit acids.
Menu for strawberry diet
During fasting days on strawberries, the number of berries can be 400–500 g per day. But you need to eat them not in one sitting, but evenly distributing them throughout the day. Just be sure to combine strawberries with other products. For example, for breakfast, eat whole grain porridge in water without sugar (150 g) with strawberries. Or 150 g of cottage cheese casserole with berries.
For a snack, make a smoothie of strawberries, oatmeal or yogurt, or drink a glass of fruit drink. For lunch, you can eat a vegetable salad with cottage cheese, nuts, herbs and berries. For dinner — steamed fish with stewed vegetables with berries (pumpkin, zucchini, onions, carrots, strawberries or black currants).
Berries can be added to dishes whole or chopped with a blender along with the skin and seeds. But squeezing juice out of them is not the best option, since in this case the most valuable thing for weight loss and detox is lost — fiber. In addition, the juice in its pure form irritates the gastric mucosa.
Keep in mind: raw berries may be contraindicated in exacerbations of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, liver and pancreas, as well as with increased acidity of the stomach. In these cases, before going on a strawberry diet, you need to consult a doctor.
Strawberries are one of the healthiest summer berries you should definitely try! Choose any method and enjoy!