October 03, 2019, 18:24
When you first encounter the concept of “separate meals”, you might think that it is based on a simple principle: do not eat all together. But this is a delusion. How to actually build a diet according to such a system, the expert says.
Separate nutrition is not a diet, rather it is a dietary concept. It is based on the idea of compatibility or incompatibility of certain products. This nutritional system gained immense popularity thanks to the American naturopath of the twentieth century, Herbert Shelton, and the Hollywood stars who were his patients.
What is separate nutrition, what are its basic principles and how to build your menu based on its recommendations? We asked an expert to talk about it.
All questions are answered by a sports nutritionist-nutritionist Iryna Storozhenko.
The main rule of separate nutrition is to separate foods that are digested in different environments. As you know, some foods need an acidic environment, while others need an alkaline one. And the whole secret is that they should not be mixed.
By adhering to certain principles, you will easily digest food, absorb more nutrients and not store excess, and you will be able to lose weight.
10 main principles of separate nutrition
- We eat protein and carbohydrates at different times. That is, in one meal you can not eat fish with porridge, meat or cheese with bread, or eggs with potatoes, etc.
- Acids and starch — separately. For example, legumes, breads, potatoes or bananas should not be eaten together with citrus fruits and other acidic fruits.
- Separate acids from proteins. Also, do not combine acidic foods, including tomatoes, with meat, fish, cheese, eggs.
- Proteins are not friends with fats. If you decide to eat fish, eggs or meat, refrain from using butter or vegetable oil.
- Separate starchy and sugary foods. Jam or honey, sugar grated with fruit will not be a good filling for pies. Avoid eating porridge or bread with sweets.
- One kind of protein at a time. Do not combine protein foods — it is optimal to eat one high-protein food at one meal. The body absorbs different protein products in different ways, so by combining, you complicate your digestive process.
- “Incompatible” products. In the system of separate nutrition, there are three products that strictly must be consumed separately from everything — this is milk, watermelon and melon.
- Lots of meals. Since in this system many products cannot be combined in one meal, you can organize your meals every 2–3 hours, alternating proteins, carbohydrates, vegetables, fruits. Small meals also improve digestion.
- Don’t drink water while eating. Water dilutes stomach acid, which is essential for digestion and the absorption of nutrients from foods. It is recommended to drink 15 minutes before meals and at least 30 minutes after.
- Chew thoroughly. A large piece of food takes more time to digest, but small, well-chewed food is quickly enveloped in gastric juice and digested without causing you discomfort.
All these rules will help organize your nutrition in such a way that it will be easier for the body to absorb foods, not to put too much “in the side”, the state of your digestive system will normalize. As a result, such a diet will allow you to lose weight.
Separate nutrition: criticism and contraindications
Like many other diets, the principles of separate nutrition have been ambiguously accepted by the scientific community. And if you have read our material about this system, you certainly need to know everything about its disadvantages. Here are the main ones:
- Herbert Shelton proposed a single system for all mankind. According to many nutritionists, this is fundamentally wrong, because we need to take into account the characteristics of our body, the presence of chronic diseases, age and other nuances when choosing a diet.
- The author of the separate food system also did not have a medical education, was repeatedly arrested and fined for conducting lectures and medical practice without a license. This approach to the profession, of course, casts doubt on his theory.
- Back in 1935, scientists showed that the pancreas produces enzymes for digesting food in a complex and simultaneously, completely regardless of what exactly was eaten — carbohydrates, fats or proteins.
- The split diet has been subjected to randomized trials. The subjects were divided into 2 groups and followed 2 different diets for 6 weeks. The first group — the principles of separate nutrition, the second — simply reducing the caloric content of the diet. Results in weight loss and glucose and cholesterol readings were about the same in both groups. On this basis, scientists concluded that the division of food in itself does not make any sense — reducing its calorie content helps to lose weight.
If you decide to try a separate diet, remember that this diet has a number of contraindications. You should not adhere to it for people with chronic diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, kidneys, liver, patients with pancreatitis, cholecystitis, as well as pregnant women and diabetics.
Or maybe you already have experience of separate nutrition? Tell us about the results in the comments!