Sea buckthorn is a berry that is called an “ambulance” for colds, sore throats, flu and acute respiratory infections, which is especially important in the cold season. We invite you to find out everything about the healing properties of sea buckthorn and sea buckthorn oil, and, most importantly, what original dishes can be prepared from this bright and sunny berry.
How useful they stuck it
The fact that sea buckthorn is a real storehouse of vitamins and microelements (potassium, magnesium, iron) is no secret to anyone. Its use has a beneficial effect on our immune system and the whole body as a whole. Interestingly, not only its sour berries are useful, but also the seeds, leaves, and even the bark of the plant, but first things first.
First of all, it is worth noting that sea buckthorn is rich in vitamins C, P, B1, B2, B9, K, it contains unsaturated fatty acids, magnesium, iron, manganese, sulfur, aluminum, boron, silicon, titanium and folic acid. And tocopherol, which is also part of it, affects the reproductive function and regeneration of tissues in our body. Carotene, a vitamin A, improves vision and helps fight bacterial and fungal diseases.
In addition to vitamins, sea buckthorn berries contain unsaturated fatty acids that are beneficial for the beauty of hair and skin.
Thiamine, contained in sea buckthorn fruits, helps the body respond better to stress, and also slows down the aging process.
Sea buckthorn berries contain acids such as citric, coffee, tartaric and malic. These acids have a beneficial effect on the cardiovascular system, and also help cleanse the blood, renewing it.
Bones, leaves and bark of sea buckthorn are no less valuable for our health. The use of stones helps to solve the problem of digestion, they act as a laxative, and a decoction of sea buckthorn leaves is indicated for the treatment of rheumatism.
Sea buckthorn bark contains serotonin, which can be used as a prophylaxis of cancer, it creates an antitumor effect. For use, it is crushed and added to tea. But this is not all the useful properties of the miracle berry.
Sea buckthorn health benefits
- strengthens the body’s immune system,
- provides prevention and treatment of colds,
- eliminates cough
- has an anti-inflammatory effect,
- removes toxins and slags,
- strengthens the heart muscle and the cardiovascular system as a whole,
- increases the elasticity of the walls of blood vessels,
- provides prevention of strokes and heart attacks,
- helps with hypertension — lowers blood pressure,
- provides prevention of osteoporosis,
- metabolism improves, treats ulcers and gastritis,
- normalizes the digestive system,
- has a laxative effect
- reduces the risk of oncology,
- indicated for gynecological diseases,
- helps to delay the onset of menopause, prolongs the reproductive function in women,
- normalizes the functioning of the thyroid gland,
- treats diseases of the oral cavity, in particular — stomatitis,
- prevents eye diseases, eliminates inflammation of the eyes, improves vision,
- regulates the hormonal system, normalizes the production of hormones,
- calms the nervous system, helps to cope with stress, improves mood,
- improves brain function, activates memory,
- promotes healing of wounds, abrasions, burns,
- has a rejuvenating effect
- treats skin diseases and dermatitis,
- improves the condition of hair, skin and nails.
Along with healing properties, sea buckthorn has a number of contraindications. It should not be used by those who have an individual intolerance to the substances that make up its composition. For example, sea buckthorn should not be used:
- with stomach disease;
- with gastritis with high acidity;
- with inflammation of the bladder;
- with a problem with the pancreas;
- with stones in the kidneys and bladder;
- with peptic ulcer and cholelithiasis.
They stuck in the winter
A huge number of blanks are made from sea buckthorn berries, both “live” — without heat treatment, and with it. What is important: most of the vitamins and healing properties are preserved even during heat treatment. The main thing to remember is that when harvesting sea buckthorn, sterilization is not used — only pasteurization! The difference is in the temperature effect. During pasteurization, the temperature does not exceed +85…+90°С. We offer you pureed sea buckthorn, which is great for coughing. The resulting sea buckthorn puree can be mixed not only with sugar, but also with honey.
- 2 kg sea buckthorn,
- 1.5 kg of sugar
- Sort the sea buckthorn, rinse thoroughly in cold water, dry.
- Puree the berries with a blender, then grind through a sieve.
- The remaining cake should be transferred to a double layer of gauze and squeezed into the resulting puree.
- Weigh the puree and calculate the required amount of granulated sugar. Proportions 1:1. Dissolve sugar in sea buckthorn puree, pour the resulting mass into pre-sterilized jars.
- Close with parchment paper or screw caps. Store in a cool place. Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.
Sea buckthorn: tea and decoctions
Sea buckthorn tea is called the “drink of longevity.” It retains important vitamins P, C, K, E and carotene. Vitamins C, K, E are known as antioxidants, they protect cells from damage and prolong youth, and vitamin P thins the blood, removes harmful cholesterol from the body, makes capillary walls more elastic and stronger. Such tea well tones the body and has a beneficial effect on the nervous system. To prepare it, you can add a few sea buckthorn berries to ordinary black tea, let it brew and drink it 2 times a day. A decoction of sea buckthorn is as easy to prepare as tea.
It is enough to pour boiling water over the berries and let it brew for 20 minutes. After warm broth, you can add sugar or honey to taste. Also with sea buckthorn or mix berries with ginger, cinnamon and insist, like a regular decoction. It is better to take a medicinal drink 2–3 times a day for a glass. By the way, there are a lot of recipes for decoctions of sea buckthorn. Some are able to solve the problem with the disease of the duodenum, while others help with the disorder of the gastrointestinal tract.
Sea buckthorn oil
Many people know firsthand about the healing properties of sea buckthorn oil, which is made from both the pulp and the seeds. It is used for chronic pharyngitis or problems with the respiratory tract. Sea buckthorn oil has healing properties, treats burns and skin diseases. Often it is used in cosmetology. It helps to solve the problem with acne and dry skin. And if you want your hair to be thick and silky, be sure to make hair masks based on sea buckthorn oil. By the way, making healing sea buckthorn oil at home is as easy as shelling pears.
- 500 ml of vegetable oil;
- 1 kg of sea buckthorn.
Preparation (method number 1):
- Pass selected and clean sea buckthorn berries through a juicer.
- Separate the juice and use it at your discretion (for drinking or cooking).
- Transfer the remaining cake to a non-metallic dish (for example, a glass jar) and pour vegetable oil. It is better to use unrefined sunflower or extra virgin olive oil at the rate of ½ liter of oil for every 3 cups of sea buckthorn pomace.
- Cover the jar with a lid (tightness is not needed) and put it in a dark place. Leave at room or slightly cooler temperature for 6–8 days. After this time, the pulp will have time to transfer microelements and vitamins to the oil. You can strain it from the cake and apply as directed.
Preparation (method number 2):
- Perform steps 1–4 described in the first method. Squeeze juice again from about the same amount of fresh berries. Pour into the new cake already infused with sea buckthorn and filtered oil. Repeat the infusion procedure, then squeeze the oil from the cake. Sea buckthorn oil is ready. Butter made at home should be stored at a temperature of at least + 10 ° C, the ideal place is a refrigerator.
Sea buckthorn — recipes
Sea buckthorn cupcake
- 300 g wheat flour
- 4 eggs
- 250 g sugar
- 2 teaspoons spoons of vanilla sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 200 g butter
- 200 g sea buckthorn
- 1 orange
- Beat eggs with sugar. Add flour, baking powder, vanilla sugar and beat again. The dough should be similar in consistency to sour cream. If desired, you can add a teaspoon of rum.
- Sprinkle the bottom of the baking dish with flour. Sea buckthorn can be added directly to the dough or you can use sea buckthorn puree, first wipe the berries through a sieve.
- Pour the dough on top, bake for 30 minutes at a temperature of 170–180 ° C.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar when serving.
Sea buckthorn and apple pie
- 150 ml of vegetable oil;
- 130 g of sugar;
- 2 teaspoons spoons of vanilla sugar;
- 2 eggs;
- 200 g wheat flour
- 100 g rye flour;
- 1.5 teaspoons of baking powder;
- 2–3 teas. spoons of cinnamon;
- 5 large apples;
- 200 g sea buckthorn berries.
- Mix eggs with sugar and beat until white peaks.
- Add sunflower oil, two types of flour, vanilla sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, mix well and knead a stiff dough.
- Roll out the dough and put in a mold so that you can cover the filling.
- Peel the apples from the peel and the middle, cut into thin slices, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Lay on top of the dough. Sprinkle with sea buckthorn and wrap the dough.
- Bake for 40 minutes at 180°C.
Sea buckthorn smoothie
- 50 g fresh sea buckthorn berries,
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 orange,
- 1/4 grapefruit,
- 20 g almonds.
- Rinse the sea buckthorn well and dry it. Wash and peel carrots.
- Fruits — wash and peel orange and grapefruit.
- Dry the nuts in a frying pan without oil.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Optionally, you can add 5 ml of olive or sea buckthorn oil and cinnamon to taste.