March 15, 2016, 7:05 p.m
Osteochondrosis is not in vain called the disease of our century — it affects from 40% to 90% of people over 30 years old. How to get rid of back pain and what to do with osteochondrosis?
This disease (damage to the intervertebral discs) is caused by an incorrect, unnatural way of life for a person. When there is little time left for sports, outdoor walks and too much time for sitting in front of the TV or computer, as well as dry snacks.
Causes of osteochondrosis
A sedentary lifestyle, overweight, the use of large amounts of salt, marinades, smoked meats, etc., stress, lack of sleep, as well as hereditary predisposition — all these factors contribute to the development of osteochondrosis.
How to treat osteochondrosis
The main sign of osteochondrosis is pain in the affected area of the spine — in the neck, lower back, etc. X‑rays and MRI can be used to diagnose the disease. The treatment itself should include the following:
• normalization of sleep and rest, walks in the fresh air;
• physical activity: morning exercises, swimming in the pool, yoga, just walking up the stairs;
• weight correction;
• physiotherapy and massage;
• drug therapy.
How to eat with osteochondrosis
• With osteochondrosis, it is desirable to eat fractionally — often, but in small portions.
• The culinary processing of food also matters. Fish and meat should be boiled, stewed, baked or steamed.
Vegetables and cereals need to be well boiled.
• It is very important to limit table salt and completely exclude pickles, marinades and smoked meats. As well as carbohydrates, leading to weight gain.
• Allowed durum wheat pasta, bran bread, lean meat and fish, seafood.
• Under the ban meat broths, all soups must be vegetarian, and boiled meat can be added directly to the plate before serving.
• The most useful for osteochondrosis are fruits, berries, vegetables, dairy products.
Home remedies for osteochondrosis
1. Chestnut ointment. Take equally camphor oil and melted lard, heat in a water bath and mix with the same amount of crushed peeled horse chestnuts. Then remove from the stove — let the product cool down at room temperature. Apply the ointment to the sore spot with massaging movements every day before going to bed for 2 weeks. After a month break, you can repeat the course of treatment.
2. Baths with sea salt. Pour sea salt into a warm bath. You can also add a decoction of chamomile, mint or lavender.
Take a healing bath for 20 minutes. Then rub yourself with a towel and go to bed.
3. Massage with herbs. Take in equal parts St. John’s wort, mint, chamomile and calendula. Pour 1 tablespoon of the mixture with 100 ml of boiling water and let it brew for an hour. Strain. Use the decoction when massaging the neck and back. The duration of the course is 2 weeks.
The opinion of the editors may not coincide with the opinion of the author of the article.